Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Laughing Guys Go to the Circus

You know right away when Michi Renoir has taken the audio stream at Cat's Art MusikCircus as you can hear him laughing.  It's a total charm that he has so much fun doing this!


Michi Renoir doesn't take a long time getting started.  You will hear his laugh for just a moment and then goes straight into it.  Last night the air filled immediately with the most luscious, sweeping sounds and this was making all kinds of imagery.  Cat started seeing fairies in the garden and each note was a drop of water in the dew on the leaves that sparkled in the early sun.  The deep bass was the huge trees talking.  The fairies were shy at first but then some started riding about on rabbits until the music lifted and then all started flying at once.

It was that kind of a show.  There was the signature Michi laugh right at the start but then he didn't stop playing for the hour.  The man is like a walking symphony orchestra and the depth of what he was playing was magnificent.  There was some commentary that it's a shame more people don't appreciate what he does but that's the nature of playing out on the fringe.  You can always draw a large audience playing pop fluff but that's not making music, that's just selling snake oil.  All you'll have in your hand at the end of a show like that is a pile of empty bottles.  At the end of Michi's show, there are all the musical and visual images he conjured and they're still with me this morning.

Something that amused me was some guy showed up while Michi was playing and he had a tag that said he was a musician.  I asked him what he played and he said pop synth and multiple instruments.  He went quiet after that so I was wondering, dude, many people play lots of instruments.  Are you saying a kazoo and a harmonica or what (laughs).  He didn't stay long so I guess he had to get back to kazoo practice!


Reis and Aldo are out on the road and I think they must be in Paris by now as I know Aldo has already played the Grenoble show.  The romance in what they are doing is quite a lovely thing!


Since there was an open slot after Michi's performance, I played it so this was the second live gig after such a long time away and, yeah, I was laughing too.  The first part of the comedy to me was that I wasn't so much watching the clock as trippin' on Michi's music.  He ended it at the top of the hour and I had all my music software and whatnot set up but then it dawned on me, um, dude, aren't you supposed to be on the stage.  I was still dancing with Cat (laughs).


There were some little bumps getting started but that's ok as the big mystery remains on how it works at all.  No-one said anything about any cut-outs in the audio stream and that is the Number One killer of live shows in Second Life but for some reason, apparently in defiance of all Laws of Physics, the stream is working.  It's tremendous fun doing this again as there is absolutely no comparison between playing live and playing by yourself in a studio.  It's very much the difference between making love and, well, you can write the rest of that yourself!


Maybe you wonder who is this guy but, of course, this is Silas Scarborough Version Seven or Eight or so!  Cat and I like to go shopping and there's no telling what we will find.  I like to get dressed up and I remember some gay guy a long time ago saying that being gay makes every day like Halloween.  Music is the same way as you can do whatever you like, be whatever you like, and sound however you want.  A large part of that is the MusikCircus magic as there's more freedom to do all of those things than anywhere else I've ever played.

The show was more of a retrospective than what I had been feeling going into it.  This was kind of a Silas Greatest Hits show but that's really not how it goes at the MusikCircus.  I had reworked all of the songs to punch them up and they went over well but I won't keep this balance.  It's good to do things people know but the real music, in my view, is in surprises.

There were scads of technical problems but that's part of the excitement of live.  Something has gone wrong so figure it out and I mean right now!  The biggest problem is that the propagation delay problem came back and that meant everything echoed.  Fortunately the audience couldn't hear it happening but it was tremendously confusing on the sending side and there was no immediate fix so there was nothing for it but focus, focus, focus!  This is a time for listening to the archive of the show to see what really went out to the audience and sometimes that's painful but it's a good exercise.  Hopefully I'll find something in there to put out on the podcast.

And, oh yes, Cat was dancing ... in flames!


I could see her from the stage as she was flying up into the air with flames flying all around her and she set the whole MusikCircus afire!  The walls were flaming and it looked so spectacular.  The whole place was ablaze!

No comments: