Saturday, April 13, 2013

Jo Pil and POL Arida Starting Fires at the Circus

Jo Pil played the first set tonight at Cat's Art MusikCircus.  I had never heard her before and I was charmed by her from the first song.


Jo Pil is in Poland and, once again, it embarrasses me that my command of any second language is vastly weaker than just about anyone over here with English.

Jo accompanies herself on guitar and sings in a range from soft to powerful but always with a lovely delicacy that makes it feel like she is singing directly to you.  She has a great many original songs and she delivers them very tenderly.  Some of them are tales of lost love, particularly the "Big Colored Balloon" which is heartbreakingly-beautiful.  She sings of the balloon taking me into the sky and she isn't talking about her love of hot-air balloons.  The song is tragic and yet not self-pitying.

In the second half of her show, Jo went with cover tunes but she sings them the way she likes with her own phrasing and that's what separates them from a rehash of something you have heard too many times before.  "Don't Stop Believing" is a song everyone has heard too many times but Jo makes it her own and makes it special.

When you tip Jo, she sends you kisses but I tipped her directly and (sob) got no kisses.  When I realised my mistake I commented at my tragedy in open chat and I think it was Jes who said there was nothing for it but to tip her again.  She was right and I did.  Kisses!  Maybe you think that was too cute but I thought it was charming.

I'm happy to be able to tell you Jo Pil will be coming back to perform again at the MusikCircus and she said next time she wants to dress as a clown.  That would be wonderful as we have clown outfits but don't wear them so much and it would be charming if everyone did it!

Welcome Jo Pil to Cat's Art MusikCircus!


Jes Kattun got the circus spirit immediately!


She started juggling fire candles and, yes, she was warned the MusikCircus has no insurance!  She changed her outfit as the show continued but those candles were so fast that I didn't get a good enough picture.  Hopefully we will see her again!


POL Arida came out to do the second show and his lyrics are very powerful also but in a different way as he has had it with failed democracy, a middle class that's lost in toys and self-pity, and many of the things that make you want to disappear to, well, Greece!  I can also tell you he is in my old homeland, Scotland.  I'm also pretty sure he lives in Edinburgh, where I was born.  Please don't say it's a small world because it isn't but it's charming the way Second Life brings people together from all around it.


There are two things immediately standing out about POL Arida's performance.  The first is his technique with the guitar in which frequently he isn't plucking the strings but rather slapping them.  At first you may wonder at that but you will be very surprised at the effectiveness of it when you hear him play.  The second thing is the depth of his lyrics and his songs range from domestic abuse to democracy for everyone so long as you're rich and then to a story about his mother.  The last was not a simpering song of missing his mother but rather it showed a deep sensitivity and he gave us his heart in it.

Rather than describing his performance, here is "Land of the Free" and the power of it is enormous.



Welcome POL Arida to Cat's Art MusikCircus!


And Cat and I danced!


You don't have to say FIRE twice to Cat and you can see what happened!

No comments: