Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Justin Bieber - Muzzle the Bitch - Updated

In an era in which narcissism has been raised to an art form, it's difficult to distinguish yourself but Justin Bieber did it the other day when he visited the Anne Frank house.  After the visit he wrote in the guestbook:  "Truly inspiring to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

When I saw it I thought this baggage needs to be put into a box and dropped into the ocean.  I never really cared one way or the other about his music as young girls have always determined what's happening in pop music, anywhere on the declining continuum from Frank Sinatra to the modern day's Bieber.  However, his reaction about her becoming a belieber was so ludicrous that he has probably taken the prize for the all-time most narcissistic remark a pop god has ever made.


On seeing this picture I thought if he gets any whiter then P&G will put him in a box and sell him as soap powder.  Is the gold glove a white boy version of Michael Jackson's trademark, something he needs for riding his gold Harley, or just protection against ever coming in contact with icky mortals.

I didn't comment anywhere but Facebook at the time and I was amused to see on CNN just now that someone shares my thoughts.  (CNN:  Justin Bieber, time to shut up)

The article on CNN goes into considerably more detail on his failings than I'm willing to do.  Bieber's comment at the Anne Frank house was quite enough.


Update:  Cat and I talked about it and I've read the comment from Anonymous.  The sentiment in both cases is that I was too hard on Bieber as hammering him for being a rampaging narcissist is not fair when pretty much every nineteen-year-old kid is a rampaging narcissist.  That his comment in the guestbook at the Anne Frank house was so vapid may not be due to lack of thinking on his part but rather it was due to being overwhelmed after discovering her story.  I remember reading "Mila 18" at a much younger age and was devastated by it so I suppose part of my cynicism is because I didn't see that in him but my perception of his reaction may be flawed.

However, I'll stand by the comment regarding the gold glove as that's about as Pat Boone as you could possibly get (laughs).  Some of you may know how Boone picked up Little Richard's songs and covered them in mayonnaise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow we are so opposite here. I don't like very much about this kid but. His comment is so bland. Since she spent most of her life collecting pop icon pictures of her day. Why would it be narcissistic to hope that he could also be one that could bring some daylight to her darkest days. He is what he is a pop icon for 13 year old girls Oh yeah Anne Frank was a 13 year old girl.

Unknown said...

I've updated the body of the article as maybe I was too hard on him. I'm willing to be wrong (laughs).

Anonymous said...

As for music, mayonaise might be the best description. pure white and lacks soul

Anonymous said...

But he You cant fsult his taste he did have Selena .She created quite a stir with the Hindus, when she started wearing bindi symbols as fashuin accessories

Unknown said...

But if Madonna uses a crucifix in a video then she's going straight to Hell. It all makes perfect sense!

Boone might have made a joke that nobody got when he did the set of heavy metal covers. He was all dressed-up in leather and doing Metallica covers. Maybe he's cool enough to make fun of himself. Unknown.