Tuesday, April 30, 2013

On the Nature of Poetry - Updated

At one extreme is the work of Shakespeare.  The elegance of his sonnets sets a standard for poetry which possibly cannot be raised.

On the other extreme is blank verse in which one writes whatever one likes.  It doesn't matter if it rhymes, it doesn't even matter if there's any meter to it.

The reason the subject arises is that Cat was questioning the validity of the line in the Angel's poem that reads I don't want no credit.  This is very poor English and it's offensive to people who have worked very hard to learn the language as it's much harder to learn a second language than the first.  I said it makes sense as the Angel was using the poor English as a literary device to demonstrate her question of herself as an angel.  Am I enough, she asks.

Germany has a rich history of poetry from von Goethe, Bertolt Brecht, and many others.  Goethe is from the classical period whereas Brecht is relatively modern but adherence to linguistic discipline was important in both cases.

America has perhaps pushed poetry and English in more different directions than anywhere else.  Another example of it is e e cummings who deliberately makes his work unapproachable by omitting punctuation.  Again it's a literary device but whether it is a worthwhile device is for the interested student to determine.

As George Carlin often said, question everything.  That includes poetry and the adventures in poetic form in which America has engaged are intriguing in their diversity but whether that type of work has endurance remains to be seen.

There is one definite thing and that is there are no constraints to art.  Make it whatever way you like and let history judge its validity.  However, without risk, it is just another cover song and history will not remember it at all.

Update:

"Angel" by Sister Julie

Angel
Hovering, watching,
waiting in the wings--
My silver sparkled wings
They watch, watch over you

I am your angel and I save you
Whether you want me to or no--
I am your angel
and I save me

I give and I take and I give and I take
I don’t want no credit
Am I enough to save your soul
Am I enough
To save
You

And we rise into the sun
And the wings are not wax
They do not melt
We do not
Fall into the sea

You and me
I am your angel
I give and I take and I give and I take
We do not fall into the sea
And if I saved you,
Then you saved me.

I give and I take and I give and I take
I don’t want no credit
Am I enough to save your soul
Am I enough
To save
You

No comments: