Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Angels Trumpet w/pics - Updated

The Angel's Trumpet is a type of small tree and, when I remarked on seeing a plant with trumpet-like blooms, Cat knew immediately what it was.  (Wiki:  Brugmansia)

So of course I wanted to take her riding to show her the ones I discovered here.


Brugmansia is differentiated from genus Datura (Wiki:  Datura) by its pendulous rather than erect flowers.  However, both share one characteristic in that they're highly-toxic.  Any time a plant is poisonous, the first question is whether one can get high on it and it's true that you can but it's a very dangerous trip.  The hallucinations have been described as terrifying rather than pleasurable and an overdose is fatal.  I love a good buzz but I definitely won't be trying this one.

I had not seen this planted in the U.S. and it may be due to its toxicity; perhaps it's regulated.  It is said to be fairly common in Europe and it certainly is in Greece as I saw two specimens not so far apart from each other.



These are Calla lilies and you can grow them just about anywhere.  They can stand even brutal Winter freezes and still bounce back in the Spring.  It seemed like White Flower Day so I thought I would add these ones to it.


But then it became Purple Flower Day:


I have no idea what these ones are but they look charming.  I'll try to identify them so you can know if they can tolerate conditions where you are.

Update:  And Cat identified this one also!  It looks like a certain match for Pelargonien (from the Greek 'Pelargos' which apparently means 'stork').  Here's an extended discussion on Wiki: Pelargonium.  From that it appears that it will only survive in a relatively-temperate climate.


And an orange tree:


It's extraordinary to me that oranges should be so far along already.  These are not left-over from last year as they're too small and they would have fallen to the ground anyway.  Although there is a terrible flare from the sun, I liked it as what captures sunshine better than an orange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brugmansia grows here. But only farther south as it is not very cold tolerant. Can grow to 10' in a single season, voracious eaters to get that height. I quit growing because if little one This year 12' sunflowers from seed is her newest project