Monday, April 8, 2013

The Latest Songs

"Hammerhead" is just about wrapped ... and will be slashed by the usual crowd.  YOU RAWK they say.  To which I reply nothing at all.  I have many replies but I have no wish to use them.  Fark.

Really doesn't matter much what they say as I'm not selling anything ... except hopefully the iMac.

The drums are taking the most time as I'm using some studio trickery to give them extra beef.  If I can get the kick to hit so hard it alters cardiac rhythms then that will be satisfactory.

I want music that's more than just listening to it.

"Angel" is next in the pattern.  I can multi-task a great many things but not song-writing.  It's like something my ol' Dad said about racing that I know was true with me and perhaps any go-faster:  it's the only time I can't think about anything else.  Song-writing is the same ... except for the risk of a violent and bloody death!  I do miss that risk, tho!

I'm thinking also of an "Ode to a Preacher's Son" as I was stunned / horrified by the foresight of a preacher who kept a gun in his house, particularly when he knew his son to be suicidal.  The point isn't to highlight the abject stupidity of the father but rather to write in sympathy for the son and with an overall view to the easily-verifiable fact that the majority of non-military gun deaths are suicides.  The NRA always claims they will choose another means if suicide is their intention but that has been already proven false in real-life situations where gun controls have been enacted.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,
I will have to disagree on your gun stance. I am not a gun person. I can stand on my own two feet without them. But with the work of the Jason Foundation(teenage suicide) mostly pills and hanging not guns.
But opinions on guns abortion and pitbulls are very entrenched on both sides

Unknown said...

It's really not propaganda as I was surprised by what I read. I can't cite the article and it's not such a big deal as to go looking for it but the basics were that they expected suicides would shift form when they enacted gun control in, I believe, Britain or Scotland, but that is not what they observed. In fact, the suicide rate went down. I swear what I'm quoting is not hype, I really did read it and not in some fly-by-night publication or some Facebook blurb.

Anonymous said...

I believe you bro it is just everyone has a set of stats to support thier ideas Even me

Unknown said...

As Twain said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!"

Anonymous said...

To show the damage done by guns, I am in a small little country town. Yesterday a 4 year old killed as an innocent bystander to a drive by. Another at a family function, a deputy sheriff displays his gun collection at a family function and a 4 year old picks one up to play and it goes off killing his wife.
This type of accident happens about about each day for every state in the country or about 100 times a day for just the USA.
But hell it isn't a big problem

Unknown said...

The carnage is staggering and although I probably appear to be the blazing bleeding-heart, I don't have a problem with shotguns and rifles and I believe those are precisely what was envisioned by those who wrote the Second Amendment. However, I have a major problem with handguns and assault rifles. The latter category has no business in public hands as they have no sporting application. All assault rifles are derived from the German Sturmgewehr 44, an extremely deadly infantry weapon used in WWII. Their strength isn't that they have powerful bullets but rather the opposite: they don't. Lower-power cartridges meant the soldier could carry more ammunition and consequently carry more to battle. They are not accurate at long-range nor were they designed to be. They're useless for target shooting or hunting ... unless your quarry is human.

Anonymous said...

You might want to re-think the statements on range and accuracy The AR15 is accurate to about 300M. And it is a fairly old version on the assault weapon. And depending on the type of shell used inflict serious damage.
I have no problem with quality handguns but those cheap little knockoffs are the ones that caused the deaths. Because the quality ones are usually owned by responsible owners. No hunter alive would go against a bear with only a rifle.

Unknown said...

It's accurate. 300m is trivial for target shooting. Assault rifles are designed specifically for the 200m-300m range as this is where they get the most kills in an infantry fire fight. However, relative to the overall gun control debate they're not particularly important as they're a small part of the general carnage. The vast majority of civilian gun deaths come from handguns.