Thursday, April 18, 2013

Do You Don'tcha, Will You Won'tcha

Go to Chlemoutsi Castle with me!

The temperature is a little bit cooler but the sun is coming out much more consistently after Cat has worked so diligently to dispel the rain.  She disputes her power to change the weather but the fact remains it has been steadily improving ever since I first met her in December.  This is not fancy, this is science!

The above means this week-end is another opportunity for a run to Chlemoutsi Castle.  It's not a falling-down wreck but rather is quite well-preserved and it dates from one of the Crusades so it is quite a suitable adventure.


I have no idea who shot the picture but I do not have a helicopter so you can be reasonably sure it was not me.

These are quite impressive ruins and a road trip of forty+ kilometers would be trivial anywhere else but it's still an adventure for me when even filling the tank on the scooter presents an interesting challenge in language.  The more distant I get from Katakolon, the less likely I am to encounter Greeks with any interest in speaking English.

After Chlemoutsi Castle, I will be running short on targets.  The general plan is to roll out to head North before it gets blistering hot as it will be 40+ degrees Centigrade / 107+ Fahrenheit for much of the Summer and that's way more Summer sun than I need.  It's still too cold to cross the Alps so it won't be for a while yet.  Hopefully that will give time to sell the iMac as it's going to be damn tough to do it otherwise!  There's no possible way I can take it with me on the scooter and I can't stay here as the turistas will be coming down.  They will be arriving around the time I want to go so hopefully that will work well.

I haven't given it much thought and it needs some as I'm not really sure where I can sleep as I roam about Italy.  Will I get away with it if I unroll a sleeping bag somewhere.  Unknown!  Yes, I would sleep with the guitar as leaving it exposed would make me a target anywhere.  Everything else would be packed inside the storage of the scooter so I wouldn't be particularly conspicuous.  The prospect of sharing the sleeping bag with a Megarian Banded Centipede does not appeal to me much, however  (see Tale of the Megarian Banded Centipede).

In between now and that roll-out will be the search for interesting photographic destinations for you.  The beaches don't impress me much as I grew up in Sydney which has some of the greatest surf beaches in the world.  What I would really enjoy and what I hope is likely from Kastro Bar is the prospect of real Greek music as in played on bouzoukis and going to listen to that on the beach.  Now that I couldn't find anywhere else and it's the heart of Greece in it.

I haven't yet taken you on a tour of Mercouri Estate but that's waiting until the grape vines leaf out and that has started.  Harry's grape vines are already looking quite good.  After that, we shall see.

No comments: