Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Route to Pontikastro (Mouse Castle) w/Pic

The following picture of the route to Mouse Castle will give you some idea why I told Cat she should close her eyes while we rode.  This was definitely going well past having any kind of a road!


The upper marker is the castle and the lower one is as far as I got.  The incline was enough that I knew riding back down would be one hell of a lot trickier than riding up so I gave it up there.  This was total improv as I had no idea the castle was there until I spotted it inadvertently and realised what it was.  I was just looking for flowers down by where the blue line starts but, damn, here's a castle and let's go take a look at that!  You can get an idea of how high up I was from the picture of Agios Andreas in the next article and that wasn't even all the way up.

I've seen references to the view from the castle but, other than on foot, I sure don't see a way to get there.  The ruins of Pontikastro are recognised but the site isn't manned so there's no particular reason for an access road.  I'm fine with going the rest of the way on foot but it's tough to navigate up there because the ruins are in pretty bad condition and you can't see Pontikastro from where I was.

I'm not sure if the story is over as I'll probably ask Harry if it's worth going the rest of the way.  The biggest thing against it is riding back down again as the scooter has a drum brake in the rear and it was overheating a bit on the way back down.  It has a disc on the front but you can't work the front brake too much on a downhill or you will put it down or go over the handlebars.  It was an entertaining ride but taking risks for no particular reason doesn't do much for me and it will definitely frost Cat, quite rightly, so more to come on this particular adventure!

I may be a cheap date but it won't be boring!  (laughs)

No comments: