Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rolling to Moto Center in Pyrgos


This one is hardly a tourist pic but you'll get tired of cruise ships every day and they really do come most days.

Moto Center is a very cool bike shop as they're not just fixers, like many bike shops they are also racers.  Babis is the owner and he doesn't speak a word of English but he will always find a way to communicate.  Part of that must be because he hears me trying with my pitiful command of Greek!  Harry loves the cat and he told me that Babis taught him about all kinds of illegal things (e.g. drinking, smoking) when they were younger.  Cracked me up!

The reason for the visit was I dropped the scooter a while back.  It wasn't an at-speed drop but rather it was a what-a-dumb-ass drop.  I had my hands full and tried to unlock the seat.  It was in an unstable position and it went off-balance the other direction and there was no chance of catching it.  The drop broke the right-side mirror and it made one hell of a bang when it fell, so much so that my friend down at the corner market came outside to discover what had happened.  I think it touched him that my biggest concern after getting the bike back up was picking up all the glass.

I had been dreading the cost of fixing the mirror as that's a classic crash part.  Anytime anything at all happens to a bike, one of the mirrors will break.  Crash parts are almost always ridiculously over-priced so I was expecting to hear fifty euros or some such.  No, no!  Babis said the list for the mirror was eighteen euros and he could get it for eleven.  You, sir, have a deal!

Oh, and if you're thinking that Greeks just ride sissy motor scooters, think again.  That's a Kawasaki ZX-12R Ninja next to the wall.  Yes, I do still lust for speed but there's no possible chance of affording anything of that nature.  The plan is definitely still to roll out for a scoot across Europe and it would be very cool to do it on a two-wheeler that has an actual suspension system but we will leave that to the rich boys!

No comments: