Monday, April 15, 2013

Satellite Internet in Greece and Galactic Peace Touring w/Pics

This has been quite the tale of woe as the latest experiment in hard-wiring the computer to the router was a fail.  The best speed I can get here with existing hardware is 1.7 Mb to 1.8 Mb download which compares better to an async modem than it does to cable.

However, the quest continues.  I investigated Hellas Satellite and it's a joke with 1 Mb down and .12 Mb up.  And that for about €500 installation.  Absurd!

I checked out some more within Greece but for some reason none provide anything close to adequate service, at least not via satellite.

TooWay is another satellite service and it's based in the UK with speeds up to 20 Mb down and 6 Mb up.  Now that can haul the freight!  It's about €350 to install and €40 monthly but it's a 24-month contract.  The contract is unacceptable as I have no intention of staying here.  If I'm ever to get medical, I've got to get to the UK.  The object is to get to Germany but the general plan is to go via the UK.

How I'm going to manage that remains to be seen.  But ... if I had told you from the stage in Cincinnati that I would next go to Greece then you would have laughed.  I rest my case!

Something that could possibly be exceptionally cool is a portable satellite dish but, from what I've seen so far, that solution looks very expensive and very slow.  The advantage of it, assuming sufficient speed, is that I could broadcast from the volcano and take you dancing on a volcano for real.  I'll go there anyway but to take you there live would be pretty flippin' cool.

I've considered opening a Kickstarter project for the European Galactic Peace Tour.  It wouldn't be to replace the cameras, etc, but rather for gas money plus a place to crash and get a shower once in a while.  The return is the blog / video and would likely complete with a DVD as I could capture the material as I roll and get a DVD burner for cheap once I arrive in civilisation.

Here are some scooter pics and you can judge for yourself the practicality of trying this:


The stompboxes for the guitar would easily fit in here along with cables and various miscellany.



The back box is for clothes and the like.  I would chuck yet more of my already pitiful wardrobe but I don't care.  This isn't a fashion parade!



There's open space between the back box and where I sit.  This can be used for the blankets, sleeping bag, etc.  Putting that stuff in that position also provides some back support and that ain't bad.

The other part is unchanged as I will work out a trade for the hardshell case for the guitar which is an exceptionally good one in exchange plus cash for a gig bag I can strap across my back.  The straps, etc, are ripstop nylon so it would be safe.  The biggest concern would be getting it wet and I don't have any good answer for that unless there's cash to hide out someplace until the weather blows over.

This isn't as hare-brained as it seems as I'll be out of here anyway.  Harry can get eighty euros a night for this place once turistas start coming down for the summer.

The scooter seems like it could hack it.  The suspension isn't worth a damn so I should probably get a corset to keep my back / kidneys from turning into Jell-O but the scooter in general seems reliable.  I have no idea how many kilometers are on it as the odometer doesn't work.  Another awkward thing is that the fuel gauge doesn't work either.  Those things are hassles but still are relatively minor and wouldn't stop me.

We shall see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI, little scooters like your ride aren't built for large journeys. I guarantee you that it'll break down beyond repair before you know it. If you wanna cruise Europe on your apparently extended vacation, better get yourself some decent wheels.

Unknown said...

No possible chance of getting a better scoot. I know one guy who did close to the same trek on a Vespa but maybe he was the luckiest guy in the Universe and didn't know it.