Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hot Milk and Honey

The dentist got to poke my teeth for the last time today.  There's more that needs to be done but that's not emergency stuff.  I do thank her for what she did, even if I didn't like the strategy in this last bit, and especially I thank three Angels who totally saved my ass.  There are two who know each other and one who doesn't.  None of them want you to know who they are.  That's the way of things with Angels.

Before getting on my way, she asked me if I ate many sweets and I told her I didn't but she cautioned against them in any case.  She also gave me some great tips!

She said never, never drink hot milk and honey.  I had never heard of hot milk and honey before but that could be a quite impressive concoction, couldn't it!  The mix without the Greek honey wouldn't be quite the same but the interested student is invited to investigate regardless (laughs).

Cat and I were talking about why Greek honey should be different and the only thing we could figure is that the flora here is different and therefore the pollen the bees collect is different as well.  Greek honey is right up there with the UK's Lyle's Golden Syrup and that stuff has probably destroyed more teeth than heavyweight boxing!  It is unbelievably delicious on toast, tho.

I also realised that honey production is why I have seen so many bee hives.  Only part of that is pollinating crops and the rest of it is honey production.  A tremendous amount of the production of olive oil comes from people who want private stocks of it and grow olive trees on their home properties.  It was only a week or so ago that I ever paid for olive oil here as all the rest had come as gifts from home stocks.  It's not that I use so little of it but rather I use it a lot!  I've been through liters of it since I got here!

Something you may not know is you will see various grades of olive oil in the supermarket and the high-grade isn't for frying.  Previously I've mentioned pasta with olives and feta cheese with olive oil.  That's what you do with the high-grade stuff.  Using it for frying is wasting it.

No comments: