Monday, April 29, 2013

About "The Angel Song" - Updated 2:00 pm

At first I was thinking it had to be sweet but angels don't play fookin' harps.

(Ed:  How do you know that?)

Because you can't get a harp onto a train and how can an angel save Casey Jones when he's high on cocaine if she can't bring her harp.

So then it went to Dbm6 which is fairly demented but Abm6 is all the way demented.

(Ed:  Angels are demented too?)

No.  I'm the one who is demented.  Seems to me it has to start demented or what is the angel trying to save.  It's not a love song except in a very long sense.

Here is Hendrix singing his "Angel" song:


What I'm doing isn't anything like that nor is it supposed to be.  The words to this are written from the standpoint of the Angel and what if the Angel is as fucked-up as whomever she is trying to save.

So ... demented chords!

The Devil is in this as well as that bastard has lived in my thumb for many years.  I stop frequently because my hand gets paralyzed by it.  Playing chords puts exceptional pressure on the thumb and that starts the countdown.  If not for the passion, I would have stopped decades ago as it really does hurt that much.  That, however, is not the point but rather it's about good and evil within the words and also within the playing of it.

So now my thumb has settled back down and I'll take another whack at it!

Update:

I was going to do a reading on top of the guitar chords but singing ist viel besser.  I'm taking some liberties with the poem but not in changing any of the words, only in repeating some for emphasis.

Update:

"Angel" has been mixed down and is ready for release.  I will send it to Cat to preview and then let the angel fly.

3 comments:

Laughing Gecko said...

I remember Lotho loving this song during high school.

Unknown said...

It's a tough call between this one and "Little Wing!"

Laughing Gecko said...

yeah, and I remember him preferring SRV's version of Little Wing over Hendrix's, but he eventually came around. lol