Friday, April 12, 2013

Report on the Monthly Chicken Feast

There were two objectives for the exercise this evening.  The first was to cook Madras Chicken with Peas over Rice and the second was to avoid severing any arteries during the preparation.  This one is based on Sharwood's Madras cooking sauce which I have discovered to be quite damn tasty!

As always, I start with onion and garlic in olive oil to get them nicely softened.  As to how much onion or garlic, all of it.

After the onion and garlic is ready, I add a jar of Sharwood's Madras cooking sauce and get that bubbling while I chop up the chicken and brown it.  When that's done, I put the chicken into the sauce so it can get to sucking up that tasty goodness.

I used two good-sized chicken breasts and the sauce wasn't going to go far enough for vegetables so I added a 400-gram can of chopped tomatoes and then added probably two or three cups of frozen peas.  I also squeezed half a lemon into it.

After that came up to bubbling again I put it down to a simmer and started the rice.  I get all scientific with that as I know one cup of rice with two cups of water needs eighteen minutes.

When the rice is ready, the dinner is ready to serve and it was delicious!  The chopped tomatoes dropped the heat down a bit but there was still quite a good spice to it.

The above makes enough for what will go most likely five meals for me and I will only need to make more rice for them.  It's ridiculously cheap and fabulously delicious.  That's no particular credit to my cooking as I use a store-bought sauce but, why not, it's excellent!

The only part that's a hassle is chopping up the garlic but I even looked on the Internet for a better way to do it but there isn't.  I did find one tip, tho:  sprinkle a little salt on the garlic and it won't be so sticky.

Good eats for cheap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharwoods Madras is that greek thing

Unknown said...

I think they may be in the UK. I'm pretty sure you can find it in US. Five stars!!