Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Jesse Colin Young Makes the Sun Come Out

Jesse Colin Young was on the stage and he said, "Man, it looks like rain coming!"

It sure did look like rain as it was starting to get dark and you know how that goes.  And it's a real drag when it's an outdoor concert for the World Series of Rock in the Cleveland Stadium with a hundred thousand rock monsters about to get quite wet.

So he sez to us, "Man, we need to call on the music to make the rain go away.  I tell you what.  I'll play this song and if we all get behind it then I believe we can make the sun come back out again."

Sure as hell, he did it.

At the end of the song, the sun sure did start beaming again and all the people in the audience who were trippin' (i.e. many) called out in their passion, "Jesse Colin is God!"

(Ed:  did that really happen?)

The sun did but the spiritual vision didn't.  They're trippin', they're not stupid!  (larfs)


The story is cool for its own sake but there's more as Cadillac Man and I were talking and he brought up the idea of the story but it was someone else on the stage.  After a while I started thinking, uh oh, and asked, don't you mean??

He was startled for a moment and then realized as of course he was there too.  So there you have the proof the ganja helps yer memory and sobriety eats it up!  (larfs)


The conversations roam about for a while and may go a couple of hours because we don't do it all that often and it's cool just to explore about kind of like when people would say, I'm going to drop some Orange Sunshine because I want to see what I'll think about.

It's not a fascination with self but rather with exploration and one of the courses was through Alexander Hamilton vs Harriet Tubman on a ten-dollar bill.

That ex-controversy was already settled but the fundamental is what constitutes a good head to put on currency.  Cadillac Man knows Alexander Hamilton and I mean deeply.  He's been reading a reference text of a million pages and says he reads slowly but anyone will seem to read slowly with a volume that size.  There's nothing patronizing in that as I read a lot as well but reading sci-fi and reading history need hugely different types of attention.

So Cadillac Man has strong expertise in the history of Alexander Hamilton and can state categorically the merits of why he should be recognized and even proclaimed due to his fundamental contributions to the nature and structure of America.

My argument in favor of Harriet Tubman is from the perspective of who best represents what America means, represents, etc.  Her courage and selflessness are exceptional attributes and she was assiduous in keeping to them despite the heaviest opposition.

The purpose of raising the matter here isn't to re-ignite the discussion but rather it shows the type of discussion which may take place and it's unresolved as to what is the best representation of America on currency but we're highly sure Andrew Jackson, Indian Killer, is not it.  Back in his time, it was highly-fashionable to waste American Indians just as ruthlessly as they shot buffaloes from trains but this is decidedly not that time and his representation on a twenty-dollar bill is offensive.


The coolness in the trip is I've been in freefall for years as in I don't have any particular reason to do anything if I don't feel like it.  Cadillac Man hit that about six or eight months ago and he's getting acclimatized to it.  Lotho still has many mortal obligations but he squeezes as much freefall into that as he can.

That's where a lot of discussion goes as now you're in freefall and you don't have to do anything ... but what will you do.

Note:  you need this as much as you need exercise, a good helping of fiber in yer diet, and a warm place to crash.  That's why freefall can come hard to some people and it can get highly confusing even though it's a gas when you get the hang of it.


When you do something because you want to do it and you're aware no-one else on the planet may give a rat's ass about it then you're on top of it.  Doing it because you want to do it is enough but that seems so dayum selfish at first.  You really mean this is alright??  I don't have to be this or have to be that??

Nope, you really don't.  Expectations from others drop substantially and that's a fine thing because you probably can't deliver on them anyway but your own expectations on yourself go up and that aspect is grand.


(Ed:  Dagwood, this just ain't funny)

Well, no, I would not have expected anything with a discussion of Alexander Hamilton to be all that comical.

(Ed:  and the Zen in retirement is basically you are until you're not, right?)

Yah, and what a killin' CD title:  I Am Until I'm Not!

(Ed:  what does that mean?)

No idea.  Probably it's better than Silver Squirrel and the Moth Demons Attack New York, tho.

(Ed:  dunno.  I kind of like the Silver Squirrel!)

Well, I'm sure the Silver Squirrel likes you too, boobie.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont quit know the mortal obligations you speak of.
It is only Mar but I have taken 5 vacations from retirement. PR Key Largo twice and Orlando once and Savannah
That is not to dismiss thevweekly jaunts with Mrs Lotho to whatever cool destination she might have.
April brings Las Vegas for clubbing with the girls And Disney World with the Fairy Princess
Next is museum hopping in DC with all the family Fairy Princess included.
I quit receiving a paycheck ocer 2 years ago unless you consider picking up rent checks.
Yep life sucks when there is no one to tell you whst to do. Yes I am still married

Unknown said...

Sure there are as houses, cars, etc need to be fixed!

I'm not dismissing anything but that's not all-out freefall yet as in do anything you like and ain't no-one going to get ruffled by it. For some it's better not to get to that point because different needs.

Nah, I ain't dismissin' nothin'.

Anonymous said...

For your definination of true freefall, one would need to own nothing as it might need fixing, and have no relationships as they may hold you accountable.
I prefer mine. As I am only accountable to Mrs Lotho and the Fairy Princess, everything else can be solved by a phone call and a check

Anonymous said...

Wasnt that the concert Cadillac man drove, And then decided to go to the amusement park the next day. Leaving us to walk home. Not a really big deal as it was only 300 miles away
It only took us 14 hours of walking and hitchhiking.

Unknown said...

Like I said, people have different needs. Many are obsessed with 'he who has the most toys wins' but all that means is he has to take care of them and that's no win in my book.

Unknown said...

He was heading North and we weren't but I'm not sure how that got borked in the first place. I'm sure you were trippin' balls by that time because you had been eating acid all day or it seemed that way! It's odd through all of that stuff there were no big disasters. It wasn't until narcotics and motorcycles when things got obviously dangerous. All of us managed to avoid the needles, as far as I know, even if most were not quite so virginal about using narcotics other ways. We have all lived the editorial of them and I doubt any in the crew would touch that stuff now.

For the bands, I'm sure there was Santana and CSNY for their final tour and they ended it with that monster show with fireworks in the sky. That part I remember clearly but the details around it hardly at all. I'm fairly sure there was one other besides Jesse Colin Young but that one is escaping me.

Anonymous said...

Also Tower Of Power I believe
CSNY was one of my all time favorite performances.
Saw many different incarnations of the four solo and groups of two or three nothing ever came close

It isnt about most toys because you can waste a lifetime chasing toys. At some point everyone reaches where they want to be.
What I see is most people spend time and money chasing toys while they are young and end up in debt and working til they die.
It is the endgame that counts

Unknown said...

Same here as that CSNY show was one of the stand-out performances I ever saw. With the solo performances and then all four together ... never seen anything like that ... plus fireworks!

I knew you had a grip on buying things just to have them. It goes just like you say, even with filthy rich people, they buy all this stuff and then end up selling it because they over-extended. Any time I see you spend, it's almost always for experience rather than possession and that's the only thing you can really keep anyway. A whole lot of people don't get that even in a tiny way.

Anonymous said...

I am not allergic to stuff but much prefer the event. Such as taking the girls to celebrate in the nations coolest club. Most of the therapists say it is crazy to take them to Vegas. But they can do want they used to anywhere so
Lets roll

Unknown said...

I know a sexy exhaust note can get your attention but you have never been one to collect diamonds or anything of that nature. I don't see any obsessive materialism in you but it would be silly to live without any ... unless see above about monks.

I don't get why Vegas is any crazier than any other experience, it's another perspective on what humans do. It's not one which appeals to me but a lot of things fit in that category and I don't even like parties all that much (larfs).

Anonymous said...

If Las Vegas doesnt appeal you must be dead. Most people think of LV and all they see is gambling. There are shows for all ages and sensibilities. And somr of the best dining anywhere in the world.
Plus my next National Park expedition involves going into LV and hitting the Utah 5 and goingbout of Salt Lake City planning for a full moon trip for those

Unknown said...

I did get off on Times Square and Broadway but I doubt I could deal with it all the time. Might have been cool to grow up with it.

If the Fairy Princess is with you, maybe she needs to discover how well you float in the Great Salt Lake. I remember getting a bang out of the weird of that when we were kids. Actually, who knows when I did that! (larfs)

The thing killin' me about food down here is zero Indian food. It's got to be around somewhere even as curry paste in a market but nothin' spotted anywhere nearby yet. Doing a GQ bit in a high-quality restaurant is an excellent treat with your companion all maxed as well. I do appreciate that aspect ... even if I don't particularly want to do it (larfs).

Anonymous said...

Speaking of such foodies
Tonight is no lineage.
Just Mrs Lotho
Carlucci in Chicago
So fine food fine wine
And awesome company
Just doesnt get better than this

Anonymous said...

PS Fairy Princess is not on the UTAH trip. This is more a rock climbing hiking adventure for an old married couple
Next visit she comes

Laughing Gecko said...

That 4th of July concert in Cleveland was one for the ages. The other band featured was The Band! I also remember Jesse Colin Young wasn't even on the bill, he was a bonus. I can only vaguely remember the effort it took to get home and I'm still astounded we could keep together when we'd get separated in an ocean of heads, yet we did and no cell phones in those days. Good times!

Unknown said...

Rock climbing would never work with me as I ain't climbing any higher than I'm willing to fall and it ain't that far! I remember you shooting up trees when you were young and you would go to the top of them every time.

Ah, there's Laughing Gecko! Amazing how some concerts turn into masterpieces and really no predicting which ones. Everything is better without cellphones!