Saturday, April 13, 2013

When There are Goats in the Road

There's a good chance you may be lost!



There are no road signs so my GPS is to keep the sun at one o'clock over my right shoulder.  I seriously do use that as my guidance system.  I would take lefts and rights depending on whatever I thought might go to a beach but always turning again to get the sun back in the right position.


And I found one of the little pink houses about which John Mellenkamp once sang, only it wasn't so little and it's quite an unusual design.


I'm not quite sure of the purpose but I do know there were some quite deadly floods here not too many years ago so perhaps the design is a defense against that.  Perhaps elevating it like that helps cool it.  Unknown.


And I found more bee hives


This was quite a distance from the Mercouri Estate vineyards but there are family farms all over the place so I'm guessing this is to serve them.  I have been delighted to see so many honey bees in the garden but it's not at all clear if this is from a natural population.

American honey bee populations have been tremendously wounded by CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) and I'll have to do some reading to determine the extent of it here.  The current Facebook theory is that it's all due to pesticides but everything I've read shows it's more complex than that and a single source of the problem has not yet been identified.


(Ed:  This doesn't much look like a beach)

Yah, I noticed that too but I continued to keep the sun at my right shoulder and kept riding.

Voila, the beach!


Amazingly enough, I did find the place I was trying to reach but it wasn't what I expected it to be.  Google Maps showed a beach party cafe here but it looks pretty wrecked-up so the satellite map must be some years out-of-date.


But here's the beach anyway


Judging by the tracks, it looks like someone has been playing Daytona 500 out here and I'm guessing windsurfers.  That's Katakolon on the point in the distance.


I wanted more so I went into Pyrgos but found the City Center almost deserted!  However, I did find this:


I have no idea what it says but it's on a wall that's three or four meters from the side entrance to one of the biggest churches in Pyrgos so someone was apparently trying to be as offensive as possible.


And finally!


These kiosks are everywhere and it must be Greeks buying from them as tourists apparently don't go to Pyrgos very much.  They sell soda, cigarettes, potato chips, the usual junk.


This expedition wasn't exactly a spectacle but I do enjoy exploring and, after all, I did find you some goats!

No comments: