Saturday, May 23, 2015

Josh Duggar and Fox News Provide a Case Study in America's Double Standard

That Josh Duggar can molest three girls between the ages of five and ten and not be charged with so much as a speeding ticket is one outrage.  He was not charged, he did not go to jail, and he is not identified as a sexual predator, all of which would have happened to someone without the protection of privilege.  He's not the first rich guy to escape jail as some of them have even been taken to court and they still didn't go to jail.

That Josh Duggar did this thing is not all that surprising in a culture of such extensive sexual repression.

What is surprising is the defense he is getting as Mike Huckabee said today it was forgivable.  That's very generous, Mikey.  Let's see how forgiving you are when a pervert molests your kids.

Fox News has gathered their wagons around him as well and have been just as bare-faced as Huckabee in their defense.

TLC didn't do anything until they were shamed into it by Twitter.

The premise seems to be of how dare anyone accuse a family so pure.  But, sorry, I'm not seeing the purity.  It's bad if anything else is a pervert but it's forgivable for Christians.  This means all the Catholic priests should not have been punished but rather forgiven.

Somebody has a lesson for me but, prithee, what is it.


This has nothing to do with Christianity but rather the same old abuse of power and using Christianity as a mask.  There isn't any real Christian I know anywhere who would put up with this outrage.  Amazingly enough, I've known a lot of them.  I was married to one.  In fact, many of you are seriously-committed to religion.

If there is anyone who actually supports this character, please do say something as I don't understand why this guy gets a pass and no-one else does.


My position is adamant:  child abuse will continue so long as it's tolerated and I see Fox News and Mike Huckabee tolerating the hell out of it.  Boys will be boys, wtf, sometimes they molest their sisters.  Let it go, he's a good man.

That's one hell of a standard they set for a good man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a soldier in a foreign country one with two clios taped together On the tape read God forgives I dont
It seems strangely relevant to this article.
As a,Christian I should forgive this man and allow him to redeem himself. I should hate the sin but not the sinner.
But I am not strong to walk that road. I find himself constructing rather consquences for peopke like this. This man should as,my Mom would Thank his lucky stars that it was not my child as I would be in jail and he in the morque
And I can easily reconcile that with my beliefs maybe not correctly but easily

Unknown said...

It's an extremely difficult situation and I would not be strong enough either. If he had touched my kid, I doubt I would even try to be strong enough. There are many things I will tolerate but not this and few would fault you for making him disappear, I know I wouldn't.

I strongly believe it continues because it's tolerated and the way the wagons circled around Duggar is appalling to me and that's what makes me so angry about this one. One person even said she hopes God forgives me for criticizing Duggar.

I may not know a Christian God but I have my way and I don't believe any God in the Universe supports child molesters. There aren't so many things which horrify me but that does.

Unknown said...

P.S. assuming the emotions stayed miraculously under control, any child molester coming into my courtroom I guarantee will get a consistent sentence with others: life in prison with no parole.