Tuesday, May 26, 2015

If It's Necessary to Abandon Yosemite 10.10.3 Because Apple Can't Fix It

The video for "The End of the World in Fort Worth" wasn't supposed to be real life but so it goes.

What that means to me is I will abandon the existing video, existing video only, and start again shooting "The End of the World in Fort Worth" as that was the only live project.  All the other videos will be lost but starting again with the live one would work, at least for that and any other madness I should dream up in the future.  The expense is about two terabytes of video I shot myself but it's worth the price if it gets the music and video happening again.  Apple, obviously, will never be forgiven.

But they can continue with their toys so long as I can continue with my video and forever after I will cheerfully stomp iWatches like they stomped the cock-a-roaches in "Starship Troopers."  What kind of self-absorbed puke would even want one.  Tip:  the question answers itself.

That means restoring Yosemite 10.10.2, restoring the appropriate version of Final Cut and then freezing any Apple updates to the computer until there is a 14-carat, solid gold guarantee from Apple that Yosemite 10.10.3 doesn't break anything.  They say it runs on millions of machines but of course it does as it's over a year and a half later and Apple has sold all kinds of iMacs in that time.  Obviously they're compatible and, equally-obviously, late-2013 iMacs are not.

Note:  I have contacted PowerMax, where I bought the computer, and they confirmed they have heard of this problem as well.  Their recommendation is to go back to Mavericks.


This is not final but that's the recovery if Apple can't come up with a good answer.  It's brutal and it sucks worse than flies buzzing you while you try to sleep but that keeps music and video alive on the new used iMac and goes forward them there ... although not the software.  If I get video power back, I couldn't care less about the software, just make it work.

In fact, that would be the challenge to Apple, show me this happens with Yosemite 10.10.2 and the original version of Final Cut.  Given that I'll believe the iMac has a problem but right now I don't believe it for a millisecond.

Nevertheless, it can be fixed.  It's just that the fix sucks bad.  The music isn't lost but rather it's not accessible at any practical level.  I can't get to iTunes from the laptop at all without reconfiguring it.


(Ed:  what about shelving the video in case Apple issues a fix at some time in the future.)

That will definitely happen as it would be stupidity to delete it out of hand.  However, I still would not install the software until I was absolutely sure it worked or I just end up back where I am now.


It could also happen that the logic board really is sick and it only rolls over when the rare but just right combination of cosmic rays hits it.  What the hell, it could happen.  In that case, there's a decision to make as the question is to get it fixed here or send it back to PowerMax for an additional two weeks of downtime in shipping time alone.

Must wait and there's only one trouble with that:  I fookin' hate waiting.

No comments: