Tuesday, May 26, 2015

"Love With the Proper Stranger" - Family Planning, GOP Style

"Love With the Proper Stranger" was originally foreseen with Paul Newman playing the lead opposite Natalie Wood.  For some reason Steve McQueen was cast instead and this gave the best portrait I've ever seen of what it means when abortion is illegal.  All of these things really happened and back-room chop shops were common.  (IMDB:  Love With the Proper Stranger)

The GOP and the Tea Party have said emphatically this is what they want so the only remaining question is just why would you let them do this to women.


Yes, I'm aware McQueen sent his girlfriend, unknown which one, to London three times to get abortions (note: this was before the Pill).  In real life, she had that choice and had the money to pay for it.  If she did not have the money then life plays out the way it does in the movie.  Take your pick. This is what you want for America?  Back-room chop shops for women?  This is no libtard horror story as chop shops were everywhere and "Love With the Proper Stranger" tells the story.


Another first-rate morality play came in "The Man With the Golden Arm" and it starred Frank Sinatra as the junkie.  This one deals with heroin and it may have been the best or at least the most important role he ever played.  This, in large part, kept me away from heroin long after the question set in:  why is Miles Davis a junkie.  I've chased that question all my life and the best answer I found is that he was brilliant in spite of being a junkie, not because of it.

That one I owe to my ol' Dad as he put me onto it.  Hat tip, ol' Dad.  That was a very good one and the only thing that could make the lesson better is if he could know how much it accomplished and how much I appreciate it.

My ol' Dad also put me onto "Love With the Proper Stranger" and I was always absolutely meticulous about protection.  I also never asked a woman to get an abortion.  Another hat tip, ol' Dad.

He didn't teach lessons, you just watch.  Sometimes the conclusion was 'no way in hell I will do that in my life' and no-one would understand that better than he.  Yep, I miss him.  I'll bail before nostalgia kicks into it as that stuff is so nauseating to see.  It feels ok to do, tho.  Just don't tell anyone when you do it.

No comments: