Sunday, May 24, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 Runs Continuously Through the Night

When problems with a black screen crash were last observed was a little more than six hours back after installing extensions in Safari.  All but one of those extensions were removed and the system has not crashed since.

Note:  this is not a kernel panic as there is no diagnostic log from it.  Ordinarily a kernel panic writes diagnostics but this does not.  It's reasonable to assume it's never been reported electronically to Apple.  I have never seen a Mac crash this hard before and that's going back thirty years with a lot of different Apple machines.

Given the wild instability we had seen prior to starting over with a box stock copy of Yosemite 10.10.3, it's not at all appropriate to make any changes just now.  However, my thinking is to add the extensions back to the system and see if it crashes right away again.  The crash last night came quickly after I implemented the extensions.  They're easy to install and easy to remove so that test is worthwhile and will take place later today.

That test is not frivolous as it would actually be good to see it crash again if I do that because it gives all the evidence needed for a lynching.  AdBlock was the last one installed so he's got the highest case of circumstantial evidence against him but it's not enough for a hanging unless I can add him back to the system and see it crash just as it did previously.  That's the best possible result as the intermittent weird is the hardest bug to shoot.

The reason this is a key task is Safari is almost always running on my system and so it was when things were unstable.  If, in fact, AdBlock is the problem then it will go some distance to explaining why the crashes previously because it was loaded in that version of Safari.


Prior to that time, getting some more sleep would be good.  I've been keeping Sysfrog Hours on this and that's not so much when you're thirty but it's a little bit wearing today.

My favorite expression for when things make no sense whatsoever (i.e. often), is to say, "Well, that's unusual, isn't it."

All things considered, I think I've had my fair share of unusual lately and I could do with a bit of sedate and boring.


There is some marginally-related news as I did successfully land 128 aircraft in FlightCtrl HD.  It's a stay-cool-under-pressure game and my cool doesn't do so well when it gets up to 20-21 aircraft as my little brain is shooting sparks trying not to get all those passengers killed.

There is one other thing I do when the computer has a belly ache and that was to sit down with Yevette as she watched "National Treasure" because I saw she was watching it and said, man, I'm telling you, Diane Kruger has the finest backside in Hollywood and definitely not the twenty-gallon size of one inexplicably famous family.

So we sat there hoping my friend would get an opportunity to provide a woman's perspective on Diane Kruger's extraordinarily sexy sexiness without trying to be sexy at all.  Yevette would sometimes remark, yah, I saw that.  Very nice.  I'd respond, nah, that really wasn't a good enough shot to review.  And so we continued but now watching the movie with purpose ... at least until a commercial came and that was enough for me.  Both of us had seen the movie before, probably more than once, as it's always fun to see something absolutely ridiculous portrayed as if it just might be true.  You know it's not but it's fun to play and definitely fun to watch.

No comments: