Friday, May 22, 2015

"Depreston" - Courtney Barnett (video)

The Guardian gave up the opinions of their music critics regarding what they see for potential summer hits.  (The Guardian: Summer jams: Guardian critics pick the songs that will soundtrack your holidays)




So I looked.  I didn't anticipate hipsters but rather mainstream pop and it was awful beyond sleeping with salamanders.  Nikki Minaj and Rihanna were even more banal than I ever would have imagined ... but ... the video from Courtney Barnett is interesting.

What do you know, a pop singer who writes her own lyrics, plays her own guitar ... she's in grave danger of being called a musician.

The lyrics are inventive and she throws in some guitar licks as if to say sit down, boy.  I know what I'm doing.

And she does.

Take it away, Courtney Barnett.  Break a leg, girl.

No comments: