Friday, May 22, 2015

Good Prices on Amazon for Western Digital Internal Disk Drives

Take a look around the page and you will see there is no advertising for Amazon anywhere.  When I provide a link to Amazon, it's not so I will get paid for it as I won't.  There's never a recommendation for anything on here unless I have used it, etc, etc.

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache WD1003FZEX

The above is Western Digital's performance drive for processing video or similar high-demand types of software.  This one goes for $70 and I saw a standard Blue drive from them for general purpose use and with the same capacity is $50.

It surprised me quite a bit to see these prices from Amazon as they sell Vegemite, what they do know about computers.  Well ...


It may be deterring to see a bare drive but installing them on a Mac Pro machine, prior to the crazy designs of the last few years, is complete simplicity.  I'm sure it still is with the newer ones but I haven't done it.

Steps:

1)  Remove the Mac Pro side panel
2)  Slide out the appropriate tray from rack of internal disk bays
3)  Attach the internal drive to the tray with four screws
4)  Slide the tray back into the receiver
5)  Replace the side panel

Boot the system and the new drive will come online automatically.  Start Disk Utility to review format, etc to ensure it's satisfactory as the Mac will still open it even if it is formatted for Windows.

Give the drive time to settle as it will either smoke fast or probably not at all.  Don't be too quick to use it but all should be good when you do.


That will be my usual $100 service charge ... oh, wait.  No, it won't.  You will do this one and it really is easy.

No comments: