Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Yes, Sometimes I Do Crack Myself Up

My all-time most heroic exhibition of comedy featuring huge balls in the face of immense screwage was the radio broadcaster in London during the Battle of Britain and how he opened each show by saying, "You've got to larf!"

According to legend, he did not even take shelter during the bombing as he felt it more important to 'do his bit' to maintain morale.  Inasmuch as I still know the story and it's over seventy years later, I'd say he sure did do his bit.


Regrettably, I can't find a shred of confirmation the legend is true.  The story came from my ol' Mother and she was in Edinburgh at the time (luckily, Edinburgh was not bombed but Glasgow was) so it seems likely she would have heard of it.  She was not the in habit of telling fairy tales as she left tall tales to my ol' Dad because he was a grandstanding mofo since the day he was born.  So, even though I cannot find confirmation, I still believe, until specifically refuted, the legend is true.

Small things give big inspiration to me sometimes and I know always so long as you can still laugh, you're not completely screwed.


Don't for a moment confuse him with Lord Hawhaw as he was some asshole who went over to the NAZIs and broadcast propaganda for them in English with a mock upper class accent.

No comments: