Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Final Cut Pro 10.2 Does Run Under Yosemite 10.10.2

This changes everything.

All I need from Apple is to put Yosemite 10.10.2 on the iMac and I'll put the system back together from there with no chance whatsoever Yosemite 10.10.3 will ever see it.

If they do not find a solid lead on a hardware problem then that's the answer.  Restore Yosemite 10.10.2 and I'll install every piece of software beyond that.  I needed Final Cut Pro 10.2 but I couldn't care less about Yosemite 10.10.3.  They were released at the same time but the idea of a dependency was apparently an illusion.  I've mentioned I couldn't back out because of Final Cut 10.2 and Apple people didn't correct me.  Most unusual.

Photos is a trivial replacement for iPhoto which was already so slow that I wouldn't use it unless it was for stuff I wanted saved until they resurrect a hairy mammoth.  It wouldn't surprise me if there's no dependency in that either but maybe there is some toy-specific code (i.e. iPhone, iPad).  Unknown but it doesn't matter much.

All the Euro pics are now in the Photos library so that would be a tragedy to lose but Cat and I already did that trip.  Much better to make another one than sit around to look at pictures anyway.

Final Cut Pro 10.2 will start on the laptop running Yosemite 10.10.2.  It's as slow as Congress debating whether the sky is blue but it works and more than just to start it and get past the splash screen.  I did not test any of the whizzy new features as the laptop would likely melt but it was stable in doing mundane things.

The nightmare view is I know the iMac is stable under Yosemite 10.10.2 as that system never crashed.  Safari would get sick due to Flash content on Web sites but there was never a black screen.  If I were to go back to that and then get a black screen it means I'm all the way up the river as I won't get the machine back until Apple is satisfied there is no hardware problem.  If the system then fails under 10.10.2 then that confirms there definitely is a hardware problem.  Given the nightmare this has been already, you've got to be ready for anything.

I don't anticipate the above happening but one thing I know above all:  the videos are not lost.  Unbelievable.

The other possibility is they do find a hardware problem and it's convincing.  Unknown how I'll pay for it and maybe it waits until payday but it will happen.  I can't do idle.  This is not mania but rather I hate wasting time.  When it's time to waste time then I cheerfully do it but all day long?  Screw that.  No way that can work.  And now it looks like that doesn't even matter.  Amazing how much things can change in seconds.

Unknown how Final Cut slipped through as I turned off automatic updates as soon as I saw the troubles with 10.10.3.  I'll chalk that up to a stoner error that permitted it through as my attention was on the iMac but it was a most fortuitous error.

It's major forward progress and that tastes pretty damn good after all these weeks.  Unbelievable.

No comments: