Saturday, May 23, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 Testing Continues and Results Are Good

The late-2013 iMac with all the troubles under 10.10.3 is quite enjoying itself and has been continuously under power since it came back here yesterday.

The current situation is that both external drives are online via USB 3.0 and Time Machine is backing up the system disk plus the audio disk.  There isn't sufficient room on it to include the video disk as well.  For the moment, that's not important as my purpose is to validate the mechanics.  Nevertheless, Time Machine is capturing a copy of system known to work and that's high value because a significant part of the day was spent setting and reviewing system preferences.  Before installing any software, I will turn Time Machine back off again as that will be my 'gold copy' that's known to work.

As to system preferences, I always set the system to run in 'stealth mode' such that it will not respond if someone pings it.  You can find the specification in the Security and Privacy Control Panel.  Click the Firewall tab and then the Firewall options button.  That will reveal the Stealth Mode setting.  By default it is off and I always enable it.  This does not enable crookedness on your part but it may aid in preventing crooks from finding your system.

There has been no sign of the failures that plagued me over the last few weeks.  Things moved a bit faster than I had intended today but you may have gathered already I don't do well with conservative. Even so, it's a measured pace and it goes well.  I'm pleased with progress even if it's slow.

The temptation is to go straight for the Big Dawg and bring up Final Cut tomorrow.

No comments: