Monday, May 25, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 - After Two SMC Resets the iMac Has Been Running All Night

The only accomplishment in this is the absence of crashes but that's a big one as there's nothing so discouraging than a machine which absolutely refuses to boot and refuses to provide any significant diagnostics.

This seems like the appropriate time to hear from Danny Glover:  "I'm too old for this."  (Lethal Weapon)

The next move is to bring the iMac to the primary position on the desk.  Yesterday it was brought back from the floor and the SMC procedures were performed but it wasn't permitted back to the primary position because it's a big hassle to do it and at that point there was no confidence the system would stay up long enough.

The reason for moving it to the floor is that the only thing that would have come from staying with it when it wouldn't stop crashing was to put a fist through it.  When that delightful moment comes, it's best to stand down to return at a later time.  As we've seen, for some inexplicable reason, that worked.

So, the iMac stayed up all night and that only means one thing:  get back to it, Monkey Boy.


There's only one way to stop Frasers:  kill us.  We may not be the best and maybe sometimes we do even achieve that but you'll never find anyone more determined.  If something doesn't work, we will keep coming back at it from every possible angle we can find.

The first song I tried to learn on a guitar was "Sounds of Silence" and some of you know what I play now.  "Sounds of Silence" only lasted about an hour before I asked myself, why are you doing this.  I had no good answer and I've been electric ever since.  It's now over forty years later and there's no display of platinum albums on the wall but that's alright.  The most important thing to me is that I didn't give up.  So, yeah, buy a copy of "Pigment of My Fascination" from the Apple Store.  Who knows, you might even like it.  (Image is in the sidebar)

The quick answer on "Sounds of Silence" is that I love the first two lines:

Hello, darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again


I really don't have a good answer for why the SMC procedure seems to have restored stability but one thing is definite:  those Safari extensions are murder.  I strongly suspect they may be a common thread to what has been breaking systems under Yosemite 10.10.3 as anything in Safari is likely to be common to a great many Apple users.

There is no thirst for moving kit at four a.m. but it will happen today and I'll see how long I can keep the campaign going this time.  There was a time when there was something delicious about being the only one who could solve a problem back in the systems programmer days but now it's just time-consuming and it's time to hear again from Danny Glover:  I'm too old for this.

No comments: