Sunday, May 24, 2015

Yosemite 10.10.3 - Can't Sit Around and Do Nothing

Yosemite 10.10.3 last crashed in Safe Mode (i.e. nothing but Apple code should be running).

It's not an SMC (System Management Controller) reset simply to power it back up again so the iMac was brought back up in Safe Mode.  All active tasks were shut down and so the system would shut down cleanly.  I then shut it down cleanly to perform the SMC reset.

For ultimate caution, I repeated those steps with a normal boot and then shut it down to perform the SMC reset again.

The iMac sits there now with nothing running on it and no devices attached.  Earlier today, even that would crash it and it's conceivable the SMC was somehow affected by that.

So, now again I watch.  I won't do anything to the machine until I'm sure it really is stable.  Again, there is zero third-party or Apple optional (e.g. Final Cut, etc) software running or even installed.


This is coming via the laptop as I won't even start Safari on the iMac until I'm sure whatever happened has cleared.

No comments: