Sunday, May 24, 2015

It's Not Jimmy Clark's Indy 500 Anymore

Within only a few minutes, some guy in a green car tried to pass by making a move underneath (i.e. inside the yellow car on a corner) but he slipped and hit the left rear of the yellow car thus taking out both of them.  Don't do brave moves if you're not brave enough to pull them off.  Alonso (F1) is brave, green car guy was stupid.

That type of crash isn't so uncommon but the one that frosted me was in the pits.  Blue car is given the order to pull back into pit road to re-enter the race but whomever gave the order did not take into account approaching cars.  One of them hit the blue car and then a third car.  The blue then hit two pit mechanics, one of whom was still alive but could not get back up.

After that they started running the Greatest Hits of Recent Indy 500 car crashes ... and I walked away.

Nope, this is definitely not a Jimmy Clark type of event.  If I'm watching American racing, it'll be NASCAR.


Yevette wasn't watching the race but she said everybody goes there just to watch the car crashes and that one makes me indignant with anyone.  It's true some bloodthirsty freaks do that but most go to see the finest in automotive accomplishment and crashes add nothing to that.  The kid who crashed in F1 last year is still in a coma and it doesn't look like he will recover.  I'm never looking for crashes as I've seen too many times what comes of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you walked away you missed one if the best last 10 laps in Indy racing in a very long time
And the race wasnt manipulated but yellow flags to create the dramatic racing
KUDOS TO JPM
SOLACE TO Will Power

Unknown said...

I am just batting a thousand at least today! I missed Monaco, walked away from the 500 because I was pissed about the pit crew getting hit, and the computer is all blowed up.

The last ten laps of any good race are the finest part for me. The strategy up to that is interesting but those last ten laps have the best drivers of the race doing that end-game dance and I know it's as much a thing of beauty to you as it is with me.