Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Advisory on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 is Not Lifted

Based on multiple series of hardware tests all of which came up green, there isn't the faintest reason to believe the crashes on the iMac were caused by anything but software and, specifically, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.  My system was rock-solid under Yosemite 10.10.2 and it exploded after going to 10.10.3.  It has been exploding ever since (e.g. twenty crashes in a day).  There is no clear trigger although Safari is up most of the time when I use the machine so it's conceivably the common thread.

My purpose is not axe-grinding as this will be pursued to resolution and it will be resolved.   That resolution will be published as opening the issue and then leaving it hanging isn't fair.

This is being pursued harder than the blog reveals because it would be boring to itemize but one thing I learned above all from systems programming ... whoops ... I mean the movies is 'maximum use of available resources.'


If your Apple desktop computer is newer than 2013 then likely the odds of problems decrease substantially but a good many reports I've seen from people describing symptoms as with mine were using a late-2013 iMac.  Older machines seem affected and this one is barely two years so that's highly harsh for incompatibilities to be materializing but that's the observation.

In keeping with that, I have not upgraded the laptop to Yosemite 10.10.3 and it remains stable.  That's how I discovered Final Cut 10.2 will run under that release.  Getting back to Yosemite 10.10.2 will be difficult but alternatively perhaps 10.10.3 can be fixed and then continue at the level.

More to be discovered and it will be posted.  The laptop takes minutes to boot but the iMac does it in less than thirty seconds.  The situation is crushing and I'm sure you can infer the editorial.  How I feel doesn't matter toward getting it fixed as I'm not the only one hurt by this and I'm keenly aware of it.

This is day-in / day-out and it will get fixed.  This is not a plea for help as there's nothing you can do but I do appreciate bearing with it as I have never seen a computer situation this bleak before.  It WILL get fixed as I'm nothin' if not determined.  I have played a guitar over forty years without a single groupie ever coming in through the bathroom window so determined is definitely covered.  This will get fixed.

(Ed:  is that really true?)

About the bathroom window, yes.

No comments: