Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Everything Happens at Once

Some say time is to prevent everything from happening at once ... but it doesn't work.  I don't think of my sister and then Oklahoma and then sound reinforcement and then ...

All of these things swirl together and all I really want is to fookin' sleep.

Medicine has all kinds of sweet poisons for sleeping and they work ... so long as it doesn't bother you thinking like an eggplant the next day.

Yesterday I also checked Google Flights to find the cost of a one-way ticket to Munich (about $595).  The best I had ever seen previously was about $1200.

Yevette has been interested in that as her boy has found a Serious Woman and they never come back home after that.  You're lucky if they even call.  I couldn't do it alone and she wouldn't do it alone so this really might happen.

(Ed:  what about Cat?)

It wouldn't change a thing other than being close enough that it might actually be possible to play live for her.

(Ed:  isn't that using Yevette?)

Like hell.  She's been to Germany before and she loved it.

Ihre Deutsch ist nicht so gut aber wir können einander hilfen.
(Her German is not so good but we can help each other)

Note:  to get the most out of Google Translate, formulate whatever you're trying to say and then take that to GT to see if it comes out the way you think it does.  If you do it the other way around, you'll never learn anything.

(Ed:  what about Cincinnati?)

It doesn't change that either.  I tell you everything happens at once.  That's why I'm wide-awake at four in the morning.

What I know from my sister is my family will never die.  All of them are in my head all the time and that hasn't ever changed.  I thought this after my parents but I know it after my sister.  The sad part of that is you wish you had said this or that but the much better part is the memory never goes away.


And sound reinforcement is part of it too.  I've already verified the signal sent to the computer over USB from the mixer is based solely on the setting for the Gain for each channel and the volume sliders are irrelevant.  Therefore, my next experiment is to set all the volume sliders at Unity (i.e. +0 dB) and to raise and lower the Gain controls for the effective volume.  This obviates just about everything the mixer does but the alternative is to get a different one ... which isn't going to happen as too many other things are more important.


I also checked on what it would cost to make HD video with the same rainbow effect I used in the last video.  The only way to do it is with Maya and you will flat-out love the cost on this one:  $3645.  (No, I am not kidding)  And that's not the most expensive piece of software kit they manage.

That's an immediate NFW (No Fuckin' Way) but it is kind of cool to think what you can do with the stuff.  If you have the jingle for it, take a look as it's extremely powerful software for 3D modeling and all kinds of things.

Note:  extremely powerful software requires extremely powerful computers and, yes, definitely more than one.  If you start with this stuff then be guaranteed it will cost a LOT of money as the ante to start is about $25K (i.e. Maya and a couple of hotrod Macs).  And that's before you buy a single camera.


And there's no way I'll catch the Cadillac Man when I'm sleeping in the evening.  It's becoming more important to break this sleep cycle than anything else.  The trouble is I like the blessed darkness and this isn't Daylight Savings Time but rather DPT / Darkness Preservation Time because there's an extra hour of it now.


So now the answer is shut up and sleep.  Yep, that'd be a peach of an idea.

No comments: