Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Necromancer Lives ... Sort of ...

There's not much of a way for The Necromancer to be living since he's not, (cough) technically speaking, alive.

But I figure I can make my "Necromancer" any way I like and I wasn't too partial to the soul-sucking aspect but looking into the future is cool ability.  Cat said he feels dark and dangerous and perhaps so.  I know he's out where the music and the love come to us all but the words don't actually say he is the one who sends that.  He's out beyond the darkest, farthest place you ever traveled and who knows what comes out of that.  Sure the song says music and love come but maybe there is more.

The words aren't going to change as I'll tell you the music and the love come from this place but what else is up to you.  I wouldn't tell you what to see even if I could.

What I can tell you is that it sounded highly excellent just now using the laptop to drive the tracks as the balance with the guitar level was almost exactly where I want it.

There is a continuing problem with the speakers overheating and either getting all garbled or shutting down.  Nothing is peaking anywhere and the computer has nothing to do with it as I can cause it playing the guitar alone.  It's not clear what happens as the sound from the cabinets is good ... until it's not and then it sucks horribly.

An immense amount of fiddling has gone into resolving the problem and you don't need any of that detailed but something that may amuse you is in considering where to put an overload light for a speaker.  Say you have a red warning light that will flash when levels may cause speaker damage, where would you put it.

Right you are ... putting it on the back of the speaker where you can't see it while you play is a perfect choice, don't you think.  I guess I have to set everything up for tracks and then play the guitar behind the cabinets so I can see if the overload light comes on.

Overall it's good as I hadn't been playing much.  It felt like there was a gigantic cavern and what music could possibly fill such a thing.  It wasn't about capability, it was just so damn big.

So playing didn't go so long but the sound was, mostly, good and that means the next move is to shoot video.  This will be without lasers as I want to see undistorted image quality and ease into what the new used computer came here to do.

I also discovered a different effect and it has no musical value whatsoever but it is cool to watch.  That might be the first video is to play with that one.  I haven't tried it in darkness and for the first shot I wouldn't as this is an immensely tripulous effect anyway.  This one is triggered by movement so I'm really curious what it does when it sees guitar playing.


So, the Necromancer is still alive or not, depending on your viewpoint, but the music has found its loudness again.

No comments: