Friday, March 6, 2015

Sorry I Missed You, Cadillac Man

There was the notice of the call on Skype but I had watched "Dogma" again and I was peacefully asleep under the watchful eye of Buddy Jesus.

Note: I suspect the ones most likely to be offended by "Dogma" are atheists as fundamental to the movie is the belief in God.  It will flip fundamentalists but they're flipping all the time anyway.

(If anyone else wants to re-connect on Skype, please do.  That was part of the Destroy Silas campaign which, in retrospect, did not turn out to be one of my better ideas.)

Although the movie is a haphazard effort, there are some extraordinary insights in it and this time surprised me as much as the first time, however long ago that may have been.  All my life I've seen church dogma strangling people and more so today than ever before.  One of the most brilliant lines, in my view, was when the Voice of God (Alan Rickman) said, "You don't celebrate your faith, you mourn it."

Tell me you haven't seen that in a billion or so Christians.  That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Christianity but there is one hell of a lot wrong with preachers.

I don't mourn my own faith and most think it's rubbish anyway but I consider myself fairly happy most of the time and I see precious little evidence of happiness in anyone else.  The more people have the unhappier they get as the only thing that brings them more happiness is getting more stuff.  I've talked in the last days with Mystery Lady and Cat about happiness and not in terms of getting happy but rather why so many people are not.  Each time the talk came out the same that it's expectations that make people unhappy as they are always for something that hasn't happened yet rather than for something that already did.

What's cool about the Cadillac Man is we can talk about stuff like this and no-one gets mad and waves his arms in the air.  With Lotho, I went from being an inspiration in Europe to being excommunicated back here.  That doesn't make him a bad person but he might (cough) be a little hot-tempered.  The amusing thing about the rest of the family is they think I'm the only crazy one.

Getting to Cincinnati unassisted would be about $250 by buying a ticket in advance.  Staying up there would be unknown as no idea who is in or out for really doing it.   I really do want to do this and I'm looking at it as Project Amol India.  Even if no-one shows up, I still wind up with that curry chicken with the red sauce I've never been able to duplicate.  If friends show up then it's Amol India with chums.  If family shows up then that's more chums.  It would still be a wake, it's just a wake with curry chicken which, in my view, is much better than getting drunk and puking.

The other possibility would have been Burbank's where Aileen and the Mystery Lady were dancing with the Rainbow Man (at the same time) but it's since gone out of business.  Anne and Alex liked Burbank's a lot but that was mostly with me.  There's a lot more comprehensive family history at Amol India ... plus the curry chicken is so incredibly excellent.  There's a lot more at Skyline on Clifton & Ludlow but everybody gets chili in Cincinnati.

I've got to pull off a disk drive before I can be moving about as that one is mandatory but another camera can wait.  I'm medium sure I can get the disk drive on payday next week.  That means maybe a ticket in April and fly in May.  If Yevette is back she would likely want to go up there as well as she knew No. 6 as well.  Cincinnati is at its most beautiful in May so that demands a camera but carrying anything through an airport is a significant demand.  That aspect is tactical and the main deal is that the strategy is for May.

3 comments:

Cadillac Man said...

Glad to see you are back on Skype.
Give me a call.

Anonymous said...

I knew I should have stayed away from your site.
Please leave me of your ramblings
The hot tempered one

Unknown said...

Your choice to make. Your voice goes up even when you talk about something you like and Mrs Lotho busts you for it on a regular basis so your signature is well-chosen. Take it easy. You'll last longer.