Thursday, March 19, 2015

Gabriel is Playing Name That Tune

"The End of the World in Fort Worth" shows a huge carving of a trumpeter on the side of a building.  I figure if he's not Gabriel then he must be Louis Armstrong and either way he needs to play something cool.

There's a very short riff I recorded and I'm highly hornswoggled over it.  I keep thinking it's a sax from a gangster movie and I should know the movie but it's not clear.  Maybe this will mean something to someone:  Bb - Ab - G - F ... Eb - Ab - G - F.  Half, eighth, eighth, quarter X 2 should be about right.  This is bugging the living hell out of me.

It's an obvious riff but I'm damned if it's coming to me where I have heard it.  Maybe it's a hook from something in "Love Story" and that association would be completely nauseating on two counts.  The first is that it makes the association with "Love Story" and the second is that it reveals I have watched the movie.

The concern isn't plagiarism as any riff has been played before so the question is how strongly is it associated with any particular thing.  If it was a theme for the movie about marauding Mars bats then that may not work so well for Rockhouse musical salvation.

In other news:  yes, apparently there was a movie about marauding Mars bats.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more than spending an hour and a half to watch Ali McGraw croak in "Love Story."


The next problem is that a riff from a gangster movie may not be so avant garde.  That's not too concerning as the space-filler song in the video to show the cut to the Rockhouse is getting pushed more and more out of it.  The music coming out of it will not be chainsaw guitar as many synth voices have been tried and that's where it will begin.  The question to me is whether to make tracks or to use the looper.  It can be much more prog rocky with tracks and that's close to impossible with a looper.


So that's where it stands for right now.  Likely when it comes it will come quickly and will explode forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

(Ten points if you had Moody Blues on that one.)


No comments: