Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Epitaph" Ain't No' Mo'

"Making Rainbows" was originally called "Epitaph" and I first recorded it maybe ten or so years ago. The lyrics have not been significantly modified and the theme remains generally of playing each song like it's your last.  That's kind of medium morbid and the title was kind of a killer as I came here to party, man ... I don't want to hear about graveyards and, man, this is already a fookin' bummer.

That isn't what the song says but you could get that impression from the title.  The song languished as it became a medium morbid song that sounded like it might be seriously morbid and I hadn't played it much since.

(Ed:  it's still an epitaph, isn't it?)

Yep, only not for me.

I talked to Tinkerbell yesterday because I know she's tough ... but she's not that tough.  The talk was the same as on the blog yesterday in that both of us understand closure ... but neither of us want it.  I'll make my reality any way I like and No. 6 is still there.  She was before and she is now and "Making Rainbows" is for her.

The song isn't Walt Disney as in pretty but not real as she really was making rainbows for homeless people in the last part of her life and it had become a very important part of her life.


Something I like about the video is the only 'effect' in it is the use of an el cheapo eight dollar Wal-Mart tripod for the camera.  That aspect was for Cat as she is not a big fan of lasers, etc.  Her contention is they detract from the music.  I'm sure we will have that joyful argument many times in the future and this video is, in part, to show I'm not averse to shooting them straight and I do enjoy the result ... surely it would be better with lasers and smoke, tho, yes??  (All together now:  NO!)


Aiming the cameras is pot luck as I'm the only one here so I can only point a camera in a direction that seems like it will work and then try it.  I was surprised by how close this got to Silas and I like that as the only way I can play any closer to Cat is to do the gig sitting on her lap ... which just may be the best idea I'll have all day.


The videos show me things as well as I can't see myself play so it was a surprise seeing the last note as my eyes are off in Necromancer World until I look at the camera and think, oh, there you are, and smile.  That makes me smile to watch as I think, yep, that's how you do as if you can make rainbows then why would you not.  For anyone else I don't know but for me I will never stop trying.

(Ed:  after forty years or so, you probably don't need to say that anymore)

Good point.

No comments: