Monday, April 20, 2015

"Ride the Dragon - Live - 4/20 Version" (audio podcast)

"Ride the Dragon - Live" is on the Ride the Dragon podcast now and it's all still free.

There is a brazen edit as I removed the part in which the guitar strap came off and, even if I do say so myself, it doesn't miss any kind of a beat for it.  That brings the timing back to where it would have been so I'll still burn for it but at least there was a valid reason.  I'll go to Hell for removing 2.0 seconds from the track (sob).

The edit above is a fib.  But a bare-faced, low-down, dirty lie only a sleazoid politician would use is to remove a few bars of organ lead.  These are the same bars that got me started with this edit and Occam says stab the bastards.  Simplest solution, right.

There are fundamental laws in the Universe:  you can't cure stupid and you can't cure clipping.  Therefore, musical algebra tells us clipping is stupid.

But the clippage exists and I can ameliorate it (i.e. whitewash the hell out of it ... which I did) but it's still clipped as the part of the waveform that was lost doesn't come back, you just lower impact of the remainder.

For you this maybe sounds stupid but, for me, it's my name, my music, my truth ... blah, blah.  If it's live then it needs to be live ... or it's not fookin' live.

The decision will be final by day's end.  There will be a 4/20 version that stands.  For everything else I am satisfied and I'll even leave the applause.  It sounds believable and it's not a secret so those who know may be amused by it.  There's no trick in it as doing it for laughs would be getting Jerry Lewis with something that means the world to me.  If it doesn't sound convincing, say so and I'll rip it faster than a hummingbird heartbeat.

My emphasis has been on the brutality of the rhythm guitar but it's a major point for me as the objective is to pull elegance from that and I see the same thing as precisely what we try to do with a world that is completely barking at the Moon insane.

The major deal is continuity.  You've got some trippin' person's mind in your hand.  If you fumble and lose track of what you're doing then he starts worrying, man, I think my toes might be falling off.  The trippin' person's mind in my hand is mine as I don't know this song.  The instructions to start are the song has three chords.  Be cool.  I've played the bit before the live set but it goes live and then it's, ok, we're going for the full orbit this time.  No more of the sub-orbital stuff ... here we go.  Don't crash.

I love the challenge of three-chord foundations as it's not about memory but feel and that's what I want most of all from what the guitar can do.


The riffs are almost certainly not original but that's almost impossible to know.  I'm not copying anything and, most of all, it isn't trying to be Hendrix.  It's only important to think like him.

No comments: