Friday, April 17, 2015

Putting a Second CD Together

"For Shan Chard" is something I played after the death of the coolest bass player I ever knew as this lady snuck out of a hospital to play a show with her band.  Of course, she's Australian.

The song runs almost fourteen minutes so there's 20% of the CD right there.

So that one is in the playlist I build as I review whether the material fits together.  Right now it's just "CD 2" but calling it Greatest Hits is a problem as there's only one thing that comes after a greatest hits album:  death.  Nevertheless, these are greatest hits albums and that is what will come next.

There's a version of "Wind on the Waves" I did for Cat that adds another guitar line over the base and I like that one.  It's only about four minutes but that's ok.  It's also mostly acoustic 12-string and "For Shan Chard," well, is not.  So open with the Wind and Shan goes on the back end of it so the CD builds as it goes.

Those ones are definite and the requirement for any others is that anything selected can't just be a remix as I couldn't be bothered and it's best anyway if it's something that's never been released previously as there's a ton of it, a lot of it only played once or twice.


"The Cuckoo's Nest" is one possibility as this isn't flying over the cuckoo's nest, this is settling down and living in it.  Self-deprecating comedy is mildly amusing but the music means more to me than that so the name probably won't last but it will do for now.


There's a method of licensing by play so I would get a click charge whenever anyone plays one of my songs, even if it's in a video I've uploaded.  This does not require Google AdSense but the concept is the same.  It does require I become a slut as this would put advertising on or near my videos.  I will experiment with this but I doubt it is tolerable.

The above applies to the songs on the "Pigment of My Fascination" CD as making videos to correspond to each one and uploading them to YouTube conceivably creates a bit of cash flow.  Shooting the videos after they're recorded means the only way to show performance is through lip-syncing and faking it.  That won't happen and the only other option is to 'capture the essence of the song' and that means actors.  I know a young man and his girlfriend who would make excellent choices but they're almost certainly too shy.  I don't want to do candid shots of other couples as that would be like "Wind of Change" and walking along the Moskva getting all wistful.  Fuck that.

Too bad Yevette isn't here as she could do the Shan set but do her belly dance bit with a bass as a prop.  Who knows if this is even possible but it would be fucking cool.  Think Botanic Gardens to shoot it and using multiple cameras.  Yah, close to sunset too as she dies but her spirit and her music still sing today.

Bellydancers like to balance a sword on the head.  I have no idea why but they do this.

So ... a bass is not terribly heavy.  It would be terrifying to watch as how do I afford another one if it falls but, whoa, fucking cool.


Shooting "Wind on the Waves" in Texas would be like going to Washington to photograph angels, it ain't going to happen.  Even going to Galveston wouldn't do it as there's more surf in a bathtub than in the Gulf of Mexico.


More to come.  Something is in motion.

No comments: