Friday, April 24, 2015

Women Want it Hard

One thing I know for sure when Kasandra comes to my show, if I don't get it rocking hard real quick, she's going to split.  She's not unusual as women have always been my biggest fans.  I had thought, well, the ratio of men to women in Second Life is skewed so more women come.  Or maybe they come because they're cougars and they will like it even I play a song with barking dogs.

Um, no.  Kasandra has zero interest in walking in the moonlight with me and the show either rocks or she's getting in the wind.

That is exceptionally fair enough.  It does leave a bit of confusion as I do have squishy stuff and I even like playing it.

Planning a set is making love to the audience.  My own view is that planning how you will make love to a woman must necessarily get you excommunicated from all dudeness forever and that's the same approach to the set list.

But

If the first song doesn't come out of the gate hard, Kasandra is gone.  I came here for rock.  This ain't rock.  See ya.

Don't read this as criticizing Kasandra as I don't.  I love what she does.  Go ahead and set a high standard and if I can't hit it then I am a goat and you should split!


So I roll with it and come out hard and keep that going for two or three more.  That will take it fifteen minutes into the set easily.  Bringing it down for some squishy after that gives some dynamic to the flow, gives some love in a different way, it's all good, all good ...

But

People who wanted squishy stuff may well get blown out of the tent when I come out hard.  On that I'm thinking, well, I hope the landing isn't too hard on you.  If I start squishy then stepping up to hard is a disturbance.  If I step down from hard to squishy then maybe it's an oasis, a feckin' relief.  So maybe it goes for two or three songs of squish as even people who want squish don't want a lot of it.  Then blow it out through the end.

Girls did not usually like metal.  They could go this far with music but not metal, that was too much.  To see now that women may very well enjoy really hard rock more than will men is stranger than hell to observe but it's sure been what I've seen and that's over a period of about eight years.

Epiphany!  A large number of men have cut their hair and many are completely bald or are close to skinhead.  Of course they turned into wankers.  Now it all makes sense.  You saw what it did to Samson.

No comments: