Friday, April 24, 2015

Hippie Freak Jams at Cat's Art MusikCircus Last Night #music #secondlife

Vandengroef played his scheduled 2pm set last night at Cat's Art MusikCircus and it was as hippie trippie as you could ask.  For some hippie trippie is something to be regarded with smug superiority from the modern, infinitely-superior view, but really it's about freedom and, well, everything else is not.  Of course that means musical freedom and Vandengroef paints well with that freedom.

Lots of bands call themselves 'jam bands' these days but they know nothing of the sixties as every sixties band was a jam band.  It was Journey that made jam bands seem necessary but the reality was Journey wasn't necessary after their first tour (which supremely kicked, I might add).

So Van expands on his themes.  I have no idea if that makes him a jam band but it makes a smoothly smooth smoothness that brings a great vibe of peace to everyone.  Talking about virtuoso guitar work, etc makes no sense as Van doesn't try to impress anyone.  I've visited with Van and can tell you for sure he can play the blues just like the other guys but that's the problem with playing blues ... all the other guys are already doing it.  So Van sets off on his own path and that's what makes him a MusikCircus performer.  That's not my standard as Cat set it about eight years ago and has defended it ever since.

You ask if you build it if they will come.  Cat built it.  Van came.  I rest my case.

 Van did more than play last night as there might have been some explosions (i.e. there were a bloody lot of them!)



Look out, Van.  That one might have been Fukashima.  Duck!



There are music stages in Second Life in many places.  There are no music stages anywhere in Second Life like the ones Cat builds.

Thanks for a great set, Van.  See you next week.


Cowboy night continued.  The pictures of Van aren't so big but he looks kind of cowboy and check this out.


Silas tries to look so tough ... with a kitten on his shoulder.  Somehow I don't think he is scaring anyone.  It stuns me how much the avatar guitar looks like the real one.  I do believe I will be speaking with Mister Voodoo as he builds guitars and such.  If he could make one of these, with the right permissions I could stick nebulae and supernovae on it to make it look like the Galaxy Guitar looks now.  In Second Life, each of those extra stars can be a 'prim' which means it can have its own properties ... such as shooting particles out of itself.

But I digress.  All that is very nice, very nice ... but the purposes are to play for Cat and to record some stuff for "Ride the Dragon."  One of those objectives was accomplished and it was the best one as Cat was happy and smiling at the end of the show.  Space aliens could come in a gig for an extra-terrrestrial visitation and they could throw gold from the future ... but it doesn't mean a thang if Cat isn't diggin' the set.

The set was not exemplary but that's ok as that just means do it again.  Playing a guitar or at least the way I do it, unknown for others, is a tremendous amount of work.  I made it an hour last night and that isn't what I intended to do but it didn't surprise me that I tried.  Once the gig starts rolling, gig energy comes and no-one wants to stop when that happens.

There is a bit of defensiveness as I tell you how hard it is doing it as the general perception is I'm some pinko deadbeat wastrel but the fact is I could have floated to the bath after the set, I was soaking wet. Even my hair gets saturated.  It's not that impressive a result from the walking tours but the same thing comes ... musik.


As to the "Pigment of My Fascination" CD, I talked to Sister Julie last night so now I know where to send it.

The book method is to go out there and play the songs from the Pigment CD and go, see, cool stuff, huh.  And, get this, you can buy it.  So, yah, that's the book method.

(Ed:  that's not what you did is it?)

Nope.  Recording the next CD while you're supposed to be promoting one that's only two weeks old is not book method.

Here's more marketing than took place in the whole show last night:  you can check out and hopefully buy tracks from "Pigment of My Fascination" on the blog's Direct Store.

Did you catch that?  OK, moving along.

I need to get to the P.O. today anyway and will try to send out the CD to Sister Julie as well.  Things are, well, skint so it's questionable what will go out today but I'm on the job and I'll send what I can.  I also want to send one to Yevette as her Internet comes through built-in speakers on an iPad and that's like listening to a symphony over a telephone.  So, hopefully two CDs going out today.

Note:  plastic CDs are available only by email request.  There's a strong focus on being green down here and that's part of it.  I'm happy to burn the CD if I know someone wants it but otherwise I'm wasting plastic and that stuff stays in a landfill until the sun explodes.

No comments: