Saturday, April 18, 2015

Compressor 4.2 - Apparent Performance Boost

The test was transcoding a sixteen-minute 1080p video and typically that would take a substantial amount of time, thirty minutes has not been uncommon.  Now the task completes in seven minutes forty-eight.

Part of the improvement may come from a couple of work files it creates on the desktop and which last only for the life of the task.  Putting them on the desktop means they are on the internal SSD which is screamin' fast.


Final Cut Pro X 10.2 was used to process the video and without any crashes.  Today is the first time I have used it that hasn't crashed the machine so hard I had to unplug it.  This started with the upgrade to OS X 10.10.3 and Final Cut 10.2 / Compressor 4.2 updated at the same time.

It's not my purpose to debug the problem but rather to discover what I need to avoid.  I did not use any kind of 3D effect, not that I would have needed one for this.  Trying Atmosphere is what crashed me the first time.  Apple is said to be working on a fix.  Meanwhile, I can keep going with video so I'm adequate for now.  That will change to pleased when the fix is delivered.

No comments: