Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Walk in the Park in Fort Worth

The expedition to the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens was successful and captured twenty minutes or so of video on a Canon HF R600 video camera (highly-compact - a bit smaller than the size of a can of soda).

The anticipation was that Spring flowers would be well underway but it turned into a foray into Zen as there were very few in the areas in which I walked.  I've now learned the entire complex is over one hundred acres and my impression is the most formally magnificent part of it is a rose garden which appears to have a decidedly French design to it.  That remains to be discovered and will be the subject of a subsequent video.

Mention of the camera model is significant as part of the basis for the expedition was to try out the functions because it claims a 57x optical zoom.  OK, show me.

During the course of the video, you'll hear me remark that 'the autofocus is not impressing me' but it does go on to say I was not wearing glasses.  On seeing the video in Final Cut, I'm most pleased with the zoom as the focus on an extreme zoom was excellent.  It's easily possible to shoot a one-centimeter flower and zoom until it fills the screen, all in excellent focus.

At $299, the Canon HF R600 is twice the price of the Sony HDR AS-20 action cam but it makes up for that in image quality and flexibility, a large part of which is the zoom.  I'm living on peanut butter and beans to do this stuff so you can absolutely bet I evaluate the living hell out of these cameras before making a move.  At that price, it's the best value I've seen for a compact 1920x1080 1080/60p video camera.  In English, that's an HD video camera with high resolution that shoots sixty frames per second, all very good things.

The walk in the garden is amateurish but it does find a spaceship.  That part is right at the end of it.

So now it's "National Treasure: the UFO Mystery" but I didn't see Diane Kruger around anywhere.

If the video were uploaded at 1080p, the file size would be over three gigabytes.  At 540p, the size is just under seven hundred megabytes.  If this were one of my deathless music videos, I'd go for the three gig but I need to find the rose garden before I can call it a walk with Cat, even though I do talk to her as it goes along, so this one is to demo the cam.  If the smaller size does not yield adequate quality, I will bag it and do it again ... and sure ... I'm going to do it again anyway as I will promise you a rose garden.

Sudden thought that this rose garden probably has more yellow roses than you ever saw before in your life.  Think "Yellow Rose of Texas" ... they've got to be here somewhere, right.

No comments: