Sunday, April 19, 2015

Paris sings about "Obsession" But This is a Different Kind

There was the plan for today to go to the Rose Garden but that really happened yesterday ... I had a backup surprise move ... but there was an external surprise move which surprised my surprise move.

Which led to full obsession with the mix for "Ride the Dragon" and I've now made one more move with EQ.  It has survived two passes through the song and that's thirty minutes of it doing a Saturn V on my skull with the headphones.  I'm thinking it's soap (i.e. 99 4/100% pure) ... but that only means it isn't finished.

Or it means I'm an obsessive lunatic.  That's ok too as at least it amuses me, at least the parts I don't hate doing (i.e. most of the mechanical stuff).

(Time passes)

And now it has survived a pass through the monitors at belting loud but not egregiously loud.  Mackie calls it Unity when you're centered at 0 dB of attenuation on the volume (i.e. as loud as you want to go without breaking something).  If this mix is right then I should be able to push it to Unity without anything exploding.

(More time passes)

I know the Law of Diminishing Returns but I don't care, I want it to sound right.  Multiple tweaks have taken place since the last paragraph and the reason is the EQ has thirty-one bands.  That's as much precision as my little brain wants to handle but it's highly-flexible and suits just fine.  With EQ you can raise or low instruments, to some extent, individually.  I want kick-ass bass but I don't want it to boom so find the frequency most making it boomy and drop that one.

This is all kind of lying and it's a vague shade of lie in changing the EQ for the recording ... but ... the recording isn't the actual, true, fair dinkum real sound of what it was like in the room when it was played.  The recording is already a lie so changing the EQ is compounding the lie or doesn't mean a thing, as you choose.

There really is some ethical consideration as I'm deliberately trying to purify the guitar because it can hit high notes that will make your ears bleed.  In the recording there are / were highs that were too penetrating so I hit that on a couple of frequency ranges.  Over half a dozen frequency ranges are used for both guitars and within those two are most critical for the shrillness of the sound of the lead guitar.  When those are attenuated (i.e. lowered), the sound of the guitar gets fuller as it's not over-powered by too much high.

The thing I want to change the most screams at me but that's cutting out a segment.  Between the dragon talk and the start of the lead guitar, it sounds like the guitar strap might have come loose.  Definitely something went wrong.  That can be EQ'ed to some extent but it's still wasted time.  I think my sense of musical morality is not strong enough to resist doing this (sob).

Note:  there's the same expression for any guitarist who trusts his strap and fails to hold the neck at all times and that would be an ex-guitar player.

Volume was at Unity and nothing exploded.  I will still review it some more.  Is it final.  Is it really, really final.

The final will go up on the podcast as this is an implied advertising for the "Pigment of My Fascination" CD since there's a link on the podcast page.  That's gives an excellent reason to ensure the 'casts don't suck.  They like something on the podcast and maybe they click the link.  Fair enough. Don't suck.

I'm also thinking of doing a video but not playing anything, instead doing some kind of hippie dance with the lasers and lights as I review the song.  Maybe use the Galaxy Guitar as a prop, not to fake like I'm playing it but to wave it around in some kind of way so you can really see the sparkling.


Exhausting and I'm way over-limit on chair time but I feel like the song emerges.  It's becoming.

(Ed:  that's what they said about the killer in "Silence of the Lambs")

Right you are, matey.  But, what the hell, it's a dangerous dragon.

And once again we play our dangerous game.

(Ed:  you stole that from "Hunt for Red October")

Right you are and, for twice in a row, you win a goldfish.

So roll those together and you've got "Silence of the Red October" and Hannibal Lector, serial killer, is the captain of a rogue Russian nuclear submarine.  Now that is sure to be one prize entertainment treat.

No comments: