Thursday, April 23, 2015

Silence Emboldens

They say silence is golden but I never saw any gold in it.  What I do see is an invitation ... but it's a considered invitation as others love this silence as well so what will you put into it, breaking it, that doesn't insult the silence.

Many times the best answer is nothing and that applies to a whole lot of things.  Take it out to what Lincoln said if you like but I'm thinking about what it means to music.

A lot of people, not only musicians, can hear music all the time regardless of whether anyone is playing.  So, you're not just disturbing their silence, you're disturbing their music, even when you can't hear it.

So the rule remains don't suck.

Which is a back-handed way of saying I didn't do nothin' last night.  I have reviewed additional candidates for "Ride the Dragon" but have not got one to the point of the Final Edict:  This One is Worthy.  If you rush then you just put stuff on there you will want to reconsider later ... but it's too late after you publish it.  That is one nasty feeling when you look back at one of your CDs and your only thought is, man, that was such crap.  If you've released it then it's crap forever as there does not appear to be any way to fully recall a CD and I've tried.

So this is a report that there's nothin' much to report today.


The Apple bug in Yosemite is highly frustrating because it stops serious video.  It is still possible to do simple video such as the walk in the park type of thing.  I believe the reason they are not 'complex' is they don't use any trick video effects and I've successfully processed them since Apple released the OS X 10.10.3 version of Yosemite.  However, the Jewel of the Pile is "The End of the Worth in Fort Worth" and that one is instant death to Final Cut and that is one blazing rage for me ... so don't touch it for now.

Apple will fix it but I don't much care about that now.  My tolerance for failing software is zero.  I spent a large part of my life as a professional fixing it and I would have been fired in a New York millisecond if I took as long to fix software problems as the thuds they have doing it today.  The standard was fix it in four hours or less or get someone who can.  I've seen a man who has sweated completely through his clothes because he was the systems programmer in the Hot Seat.  You seriously think programmers take on that kind of responsibility today (cough).  Yah, right.

As a manager, you learn how to stop cowboys from getting themselves into situations like that as they will if you don't.

(Ed:  tell them you got into data processing to meet girls)

Yuck it up, homeboy.  I did meet one ... and married her.


On the "Ride the Dragon" podcast now, "Ride the Dragon" is definitely final.  "The Girl Who Would Lavender" is definite as well.  "For Shan Chard" is solid but it's too long and it's being carried on sentimental value but there's a lot of it and that might be ok.  The same situation applies with "The Celebration of Circe Broom" as it's too long but it has huge sentimental value.  Many, many people, me among them, loved both of them.  The songs don't suck but both are thirteen minutes or longer and that's too long for them.  There's some blistering guitar on there but there's lots of blistering guitar in the world and it really doesn't have to all be in the same song (cough).

So progress continues even when it's not so obvious.

No comments: