Wednesday, April 22, 2015

OS X 10.10.3 Stops Video Development - On to Plan B

No need for a rant.  Eventually Apple will fix it.  For now it's immediately predictable and precisely accurate that Final Cut will crash as soon as I open "The End of the World in Fort Worth."  At some future time I may see the irony of that crash but it isn't all that funny just now.

So priorities shift again.  There's a clear focus on pushing out the "Ride the Dragon" CD but it's pointless to finish it before I've got money to release it so that's where the time slice comes for working on video.  That option isn't available for now but the slice doesn't go back to EQ as it's exhausting listening to the P.A. cranked to maximum for extended periods.  Poor suffering me gets the worst of it as I hear the song over and over ... in a way I don't like.  I'm listening so I can fix it.  Once it gets to the point I do like, I'll listen to it a few more times but usually not much.

The reason for all the attention to EQ is most of the songs are live so there is only one track.  When there are separate tracks for each instrument, the mix is easy.  When they are all in one, your main option is to 'tune' it with EQ.

If you're not quite getting it with EQ, think of the bass and treble controls on a stereo being switched out for thirty-one knobs.  That way you can dial the super-low-bass, the low-bass, the sorta-low-bass, etc, etc.


There's one song that's important to me to include on "Ride the Dragon" and that's "Wind on the Waves" recorded as I do it now.  There were relationships in New England and I mean no offense in this song as it talks of looking out over the Atlantic, unconsciously searching for Cat.  I don't think it really matters when the video was shot as I spent quite a bit of time up there alone.  This isn't a song about dogging anyone and I wasn't.

The song is pretty and it's the only one with a significant presence from the 12-string my ol' Dad bought me during difficult times.  That was an in-family giveaway when my shoulder was breaking up as it couldn't handle reaching all the way around the guitar anymore.  It's not clear if the replacement shoulder could do it but the guitar probably can't be retrieved as you don't give stuff away expecting to get it back.  That's not regret, that's how it works.  Well, some regret but that's ok.

The reason this is significant is the version I intended to use for the CD is not present in a format of sufficient quality for disc.  That means do it again and specifically live for Cat.  This is a bit tense as you only get one shot.  You could say, no, no.  I don't want to keep that one.  Let's go for Take Two.  That sucks, tho, as you don't go into a recording with the right vibe if you're already one down.  In the studio it doesn't matter but in front of a crowd it matters a lot.  Even if they know your specific purpose is to record this song, it still would not be cool to do multiple takes, not in my view anyway.

Various limitations exist on playing and that's a large part of the walking campaign.  There's nothing to say as walking makes thing better and quitting smoking makes things better.  Anything more than that is a waste of words.


There's a possibility, emphasis on possibility, of playing tomorrow night.  It has to be live as it makes no sense, to me, to play a song 'for Cat' if I do it solo as a studio recording.  When I do it 'for Cat,' it has to really be for Cat due to the fact she is right there listening to it.  I'll put some solid into this when I talk to Cat in the morning.  It won't be formally announced in any case.  You're welcome to come and I'll send a notice out in my group and the Circus but I won't send it anywhere else.  Cat has Internet troubles and there is a distinct chance she may not be there.  In that case, I will blow it off and do it when she can be there.

I'm leaning more toward do it.

No comments: