Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"For Shan Chard - Live" (audio - EQ'd for CD)

Shan Chard was a great lady and a powerful bass player.  She is much loved and "For Shan Chard" is a tribute to her.  It's on the "Ride the Dragon" podcast now.

The songs I've been preparing for the "Ride the Dragon" CD are heavily sixties but it's ok as I am sixties, I was seventeen in 1967.  I wanted to play like those guys and now I can ... except it isn't cool anymore.  I don't trip-funk-jazz-bunk or whatever they call the genre for gnarled, as opposed to gnarly, old stoner freak music.  This is not a lament as I was a freak then and a freak I remain.

"Ride the Dragon" (also on the podcast) may be as sixties as I'll ever get and that one has me wired.  All that matters to me are first the song doesn't suck and second whether it would have held its own in the sixties.  Whether they like it now is anyone's guess but the hippies would have loved it.  Ha!


Shan was younger than I and life is an evil bitch like that sometimes.  She was a brave woman, tho.  She snuck out of her bed in a hospital to play a set in a gig with her band.  She's not just a bad-ass woman, she's a bad-ass anyone.  She was very funny and live and many people love her.  This one is a hat tip from the sixties.  Hippies love you too ... and freaks (i.e. me).

No comments: