Friday, August 21, 2015

Tin Can Jams in a Coal Mine

The suggestion has come multiple times of busking, there's yer salvation.  Maybe it would be if that's what I played and the kit I use to do what I do supported it.  Short answer:  it doesn't work and it would suck to do it anyway.  The larger probability is I would be arrested for it rather than showered with pocket change.  That's the tin can in a coal mine approach.


There's always the mercy of the court and tell people specifically what's screwed and justify needing a bit o' help.  That's pointless and cynical because a whole lot of people need help and they need it more than I.  Competing with a sick kid for sympathetic help is more wrong than I will ever want to manage.


That's what leads to the Dream Big solution.  wtf, I'm screwed anyway so why not.  The worst that can come from it is hooting and heckling, what a fuckin' stupid idea.  But nothing changes as I'm still screwed.  However, there's the converse in which there's some thinking maybe it isn't such a bad idea.


There is ZERO idea if anyone else can do it.  Those specific people are required because if they were playing nearby then I would do anything I could to get there.  That isn't solely because they're friends but rather they're that good.  They are worthy of any stage and they will grace it well.


Update ... update:  Just heard from Sonya.  She said she is in.  If it's possible she wants to do it.  Mystery Lady has got to see this.  These two will love each other.  Mystery Lady gets all Mother Goose for a show.

Mystery Lady was singing doo-wop when she was fifteen-years-old.  I don't recall what they called themselves but it's in her, always has been.


(Ed:  flattery?)

Fuck flattery.  It don't pay the rent.


Silas doesn't cover Hendrix but there's an out as there's also an uncover in taking the part of "Hey Baby" he likes (i.e. Lyrical Hendrix) and chucking the part he, erm, doesn't like so much (i.e. Zappa Hendrix).

Yevette said it was beautiful.  Hmmm.


The chords are easy and I screw around with them from time to time but I wanted a better color and Hendrix was using a flanger and something called an Omnivibe which does who knows what.  Using the chorus on the GT-100 and flipping it do deep space (or some such) gets a similar type of effect and that's good as I don't want to sound the same and I don't want to play the same but I very much DO want to go to the same place so ...

Hey Baby, would you like to along
We'll take a ride and go uptown
We'll find just what's going on
Hey Baby, would you like to go along

Those aren't Hendrix' words.  It's an uncover, I tell you.


(Ed:  it's just an uncover because you can't figure out the lead)

In fact, I probably can't but that's not what I'm trying to do.  Hendrix did that and no-one else should. The Bluesman said go beyond, he never sa id copy.  (Ralph Seneca, "Crossroads")


Musical note:  the chords are listed as Am - G - F - D but recordings I've heard are a half step down.  People often say Hendrix detuned the guitar as much of his work is like that but I'm suspicious of the tape machines of the period.  The audio could have been detuned any number of ways.  I haven't watched microscopically to see where his hands are when he plays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just now saw your blog after 2 weeks or more--dont have my own computer so gotta steal time when I can get it--I will have to arrange a time to call again. That was nice of Yvette to offer. I can't go anywhere without my Joy tho. Gotta go--will call during the week-okay? And if you are sleeping, you'll just have to get ur butt up!! ML

Unknown said...

There are critters all over the place here! Joy is no problem.

Yes, please call during the week and I will get up if I know! Yevette got it the last time but I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe asleep or not here, not sure.

It would be wonderful to talk. Looking forward to it.