Friday, August 28, 2015

Things My Ol' Dad Said

You know the moment, of course, when you're sitting at the dinner table and your kid blurts out, "I'm trippin' balls and can't figure anything out."

Since you're all familiar with how that goes from experience with it, we'll hop up to the Big Question, the Trippin' Moment in the Midst of the Confusion, the Question Which Could Be Asked No Other Way:

"Do you believe in God?"

"Yes"

The end.  That was the first and last religious discussion we ever had and it was also the only one I ever needed.  It's the same one I will pass along to you and, just as with me, make of it what you will.

The good Reverend and I are are everlastingly grateful to my ol' Parents that neither of them imposed any shred of religious instruction.  They provided anything you might want to read on the subject but this is your decision to make.  This is a confusing and more difficult way to do that but I'm quite sure with my siblings as well as myself that a surety of belief comes from working it through for yourself, regardless of whether that leads to Christianity and specifically because of the first question.



(Ed:   what couldn't you figure out?)

How to get away from the dinner table without getting busted.  So I blurted it out and got busted.

This became an exceptional revelation of my ol' Dad as the measure of his response was in nanometers ... does he bullshit, patronize, does he really fucking mean this.  His eyes were clear on it and this came as the kind of mind contact which only comes through acid.  This is absolute.

Knowing that, I'm not sure I even said anything but I don't think I did.  What was said without saying is this is the foundation, we can pursue further if you like but otherwise do as you will.

Fair enough.

He was right as from that foundation anything can happen ... and it did.


(Ed:  will there be any serious preaching in this show?)

This is serious preaching right here, it's just not dogma.  There won't be any dogma as it's not needed as a resource in my context and it gains nothing to pull it up for ridicule.

(Ed:  the preaching is not to preach?)

Yup.  And definitely don't be asking for jetplanes from old ladies.

No comments: