Monday, August 17, 2015

What Happened to the Jams

Nothin' happened.  "There Will Come a Time" is bugging the hell out of me but that's good as I wanted to see about another keyboard track.  There is synth now and that gives a lush darkness but it seemed it needs a B3 organ.  After playing the song many, many times and using many, many different voices, it came back to ... a B3 organ but with distortion.  That gives the right brightness over the synth and enough bad-ass to make it real.

The guitar lead line I try from time to time to see what I like.  For recording, that will be last because it has to be dazzling.  It doesn't have to blow you away as you probably won't listen to it but it does have to blow me away.

That's a huge reason to do it and it's required to blow me away so much in playing that only Julia Roberts can express it adequately.

Think "Pretty Woman" as she says, "I nearly peed my pants."

The object is to get so engaged with the music that everything in you is in it yet it's also coming back at you.  This synergizes in some huge kozmik loop and it's somewhat similar to looking into the center of the expanding computer visuals and how that will take over everything ... except you push the strings to drive it.

Always reminding yourself, keep breathing.

(Ed:  seriously?)

Yup.  It's important.  Otherwise you fall over.

That's why I drag my feet on recording as recording is not why I do it.

But ... the only way to hear the song with all the bits in it and just right ... got to record them.


There's nothing defeatist, etc as this is a live, every-day project.  It grows as it will and no faster than it should.  I want it to be (say this like a German) fucking cool.

No comments: