Thursday, August 20, 2015

Shredding ... on Guitars and in Bedrooms Around the World

When I hear 'shredder,' my toes start itching almost immediately and I start looking for an escape route.

Guitar godhood comes to the masters of lyrical play and speed means nothing to them because they play what needs to be sung rather than something from a book on Newtonian physics.

Guitar undeadhood is what comes from shredding as it's much like a musical Facebook and it will talk and talk and talk but, in the end, the only question coming to you for them is, so, do you know any songs.

Well, no, but do you want to hear about me, me, me.

Um, in point of fact, no.


There is no more definition to me of shredding than 'playing fast for no particular reason' and Metallica was one of the earliest.  They were fairly good at it if you like the style but then there were many others.   Many others.

Do you want to hear how fast I can play?

No.


Steve Vai came blazing in from another planet and he's been the Shredding King for years.  He's also the guitarist in "Crossroads" so you see he has incredible moves but, as you saw, the shredder was playing for the Devil and Mozart was playing for life.

Or perhaps you thought those were idle musical puns and that music was used simply because that was what the musicians could play.


(Ed:  was Zappa a shredder?)

Bite your fookin' tongue before it catches fire, Satchmo!


(Ed:  what about Django?)

Fark no!


(Ed:  what about Voodoo?)

You've never heard the Voodoo do or you wouldn't even ask.  He knows as well as anyone I ever heard that speed has no inherent value and he uses it if ... and only if ... the speed adds something to what he is trying to say.  This type of discretion is what shredders frequently lack.  It has many terms but frequently we call it music.

(Ed:  you just flatter Voodoo)

Why should I do that.  I'm not gay, he doesn't send me money, and it would suck to tell you he is good if he is not.  Pointless.  Makes no sense.


The shredders must be better than that lyrical stuff but it's odd then, isn't it.  They're better than that but I don't see anyone resurrecting the stage at Woodstock.

(Ed:  they make many stages for Lollapalooza)

It's not so much whether anyone went but rather whether anyone cared.  From the general vibe, it seemed like a great place to go for a party but it's got nothing for a movement.

(Ed:  but Ozzy was there)

Was he now.

When I think of Ozzy and movement, I'd be looking for Metamucil.

I love Ozzy but if you're going to be ridiculous, it's important to know when you're doing it.


So, baby, I can really shred in the bedroom.

Can you now, she said ... over her shoulder ... as she ran away.  I went to Prom and I know what speed in the bedroom means.  Run away, run away, she cried.

No comments: