Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Negro Alert" (poem)


So I get to my truck
and it's ringing its bells
screaming alarms
and sounding like hell.

I asked this one guy
about what set it off
He said, "Negro Alert,"
and then gave a small cough.

I looked at this cat
as sayin', "Come, on dude,
I didn't ask 'cause you're black,
I wasn't trying to be rude."

Just look around
You can see I'm sincere.
I didn't ask 'cause you're black.
There's no-one else here.

He saw in my smile
I didn't think it was him
That's when it changed
and he flashed a big grin.

We'll both tell this story
perhaps go different ways
but there's truth in a smile
and what it can say.

It sounds pretty corny
but smiles heal big hurts
and one day they'll stop
these Negro Alerts.


The above is one of the poems from my book, "Lunagrams," and I used iBooks Author to write it as I specifically wanted the advanced features available in the iBooks format.  However, I find that it is impossible to export from iBooks Author into the EPUB format which is the one most commonly-used.  The export would be a convenient way to convert it but the only options are for PDF or TEXT, the latter of which is worse than useless as it gets the contents of the poems but iBooks Author does not export the titles.

The next approach is to create the EPUB in Pages by copying each poem individually from iBooks Author.  This is kind of a nuisance as there are about seventy poems in it but doing that will work and the result will be a format that can be presented anywhere as it's effectively universal albeit without the swanky features of the iBooks format (e.g. embedded videos, etc).

No comments: