Thursday, February 28, 2013

Second Life London Jam 2013

Musicians from Second Life have been gathering in multiple places in the world for jams and real world performances which are also simulcast into Second Life.  Such an event has been staged previously in London and another one is scheduled for June 14-16, 2013.  A number of performers have already indicated they are interested in attending but I won't list a roster at this time as the list will almost certainly change, at a minimum it will grow, between now and the time of the London Jam.

My immediate interest in the London Jam is because Michi Renoir has said he would like to play there and I'm interested in jamming with him.  The event is two and a half months from now so it might even be feasible to do it.  I need to get to the UK in any case and this is yet another good reason for it.  In case you missed it, here is a link to an article I wrote some days ago on Michi Renoir's most recent performance at Cool Cat's Art MusikCircus:  Utter Musical Magic at Cat's Art MusikCircus Last Night.

Eva Moon will be there also and that's quite an effort for her as she lives in Seattle, WA.  That's not quite as long a haul as the flight from Texas to Greece (it went through London) but it's still quite a long time in the air,  I suspect about ten hours solid.

Sonya Jevette has been talking about going to the UK and possibly this would be a place to meet her as well.

There is a Facebook group specific to the jam and this link will take you there:  London Jam 2013.


I have some thinking that perhaps there is the possibility to fund such a jaunt through Kickstarter.  It's probably not realistic as why should anyone support me gadding about Europe shooting videos, etc, when I do that for free anyway (laughs).

It wouldn't be my interest to buy cameras and whatnot, much as I would dearly love to use gear like I used previously but there isn't room on the scooter to carry anything else and doing it on a scooter is part of the adventure.  Doing it in an SUV or some such wouldn't be sexy at all. There's some cat in Sweden (Sven Yrvind) who plans to sail a six-meter boat around the world ... by himself!  That's rather more bold than my objective but it's the same kind of thing.

So, we shall see!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope to be at this year's London Jam too. It would be great to see you and hear you.

I'd like to go to more Second Life jams but my location and the costs associated with making a transatlantic flight each time say otherwise. Meeting the people in real life and being able to call them my friends is the best thing about the Second Life music community in my opinion. I think the meetups might outlive SL itself as the future of SL seems a bit less certain. So far I have been to London in 2011 and Nashville in 2012.

Going to the Nashville jam last year was truly the highlight of that year. That was a huge 82 person event! I got to meet my partner Anastasia, and Voodoo who I spent most of the time jamming with -
[a video].

The London jam is more of a small house gathering but providing there aren't too many cancelations, this year's jam will be the best attended london jam yet. I believe Joy who organised the Germany jam will be coming as well. These events can only grow as word gets out about them. Trying to save up for Nashville 2014!

Unknown said...

It would be fascinating to meet you as well. I've listened to you play many times now and seeing / hearing you in a real world situation would be wonderful. What I do is usually pretty outrageous and it wasn't a strong mix for the one jam I attended in Dallas but SL music is getting more and more electrical all the time, particularly with the synthesizers as they can't do it any other way! I guess as an old geezer I should behave a little bit with my music but I would be lying if I said I would do it (laughs).

I do hope to see you there. In June it will already be blistering hot in Greece and I'm sure I will be ready to roll out long before then!

Anonymous said...

1. Alan ,James is not only a great musican his Rl performance is a
" must see " how he handle his guitar . I am looking forward to the London Jam to see and hear him again LIVE .
2. what about a Gig Michi/Alan at Cat´s Circus on double stream /Sky ?
I am always ready for a mischief -.)))
Tonight 1th March 2.40 pm i am invited on IXMAL´s( host of LOndon Jam) Rezday Party make me very proud .
MICHI RENOIR

Unknown said...

1 - Oh yes, he has a most intriguing technique. He's not the only one to finger pick at the Circus but he has quite an extraordinary polyphonic technique as opposed to a more linear technique. That's not to judge either style as I admire both and, yes, I would be most interested to see him play now that I have heard him.
2 - I'm sorry but I just can't get enough bandwidth out so far from Athens so streaming audio isn't possible. That's another reason the London Jam is so intriguing is that all things are possible! I would very much love to jam with you!
3 - There's a show tonight at the circus so I'm not sure how timing will work out but I'm glad to know of your performance and meeting IXMAL would be very cool too. Break a leg!!