Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Great Greek Washing Machine Saga

After you have been driving around this town for three or four hours without finding your destination, it might be time to stop pretending to your girlfriend that you have any idea where you are taking her.  The same is true Greek washing machines except your girlfriend doesn't much care what you are doing to take care of your clothes, she would just prefer that you not smell like yesterday's laundry.

If you think your girlfriend can't tell you are wearing yesterday's clothes then you have a lot to learn about women as her sense of smell is much more sensitive than you realise and she can smell the scent of the perfume from the woman with whom you shared the elevator the previous day.  She is also not stupid and she knows very well that the scent of that perfume would not have lasted so long if you only saw that woman on an elevator.

I've been in Greece for over three months and there is a community Greek washing machine that is shared by the residents here (yah, the other one who lives next-door).  In those three+ months, I discovered how to start the washing machine but I never discovered how to start it correctly as it would run indefinitely until I finally stopped it and pulled my clothes out of it.  This was good insofar as my clothes wound up very, VERY clean but it was bad in that they would wear out in another three months of treatment like that.

Cat said it was interesting to hear of my troubles with the washing machine as she said the first time she ever saw a man pushing a baby carriage, it was an American who was doing it.  This was almost shocking to her that a man would do something that's considered women's work so the willingness of American men to do such things is not a bad thing at all.  She is very inquisitive about many things and another time was when she asked the priest in her religion class how Adam and Eve populated the world without a whole lot of incest.  She wasn't trying to toy with the priest as she was only ten years old and wanted to understand.  Father, tell me, how does this work!  (He had no answer and instead the question resulted in a letter to her parents about this troublesome child!)

(Ed:  Dude, is this a political speech or are you going to actually tell us what you mean?)

Yes, right.  Washing machines.

So, I finally asked my friend for help and discovered how the washing machine works as in which of these mysterious Greek buttons to push to get the job done.  I had translated the text on the controls but it didn't help at all.  However!  I am now pleased to announce that I am the Tiger of the Washing Machine and it washed my clothes quite nicely, even cleverly spinning them at the end of the cycle.

There was only one task remaining and that was to hang them up outside to dry and that, naturally, can only mean one thing.

(Ed:  Let me guess...)

Yah, right, it started raining again!

No comments: